What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrahighland Species

I was wandering what different species of nepenthes I could grow in ultrahighland conditions? I know a few, but I want more than a few to occupy my 75 gallon terrarium. Any help will be most useful. Thanks.

N. rajah
N. villosa
N. vieillardii
N. clipeata

That is all I can think of... Anybody else?

Night temps should be around 50*F, Days should be in the high seventies, low eighties... Humidity should be high, but you dont wanna get it accustomed to sumthing like 100% in case your humidifier breaks or sumthing, then it will start to wilt... Idealy 70-75% should do... Lots of light, if its sunlight, try some shade cloth to dapple it out a bit...

Now I just need one...
sad.gif

Clipeata isn't an Ultrahighland, it is a Intermediate-lowlander!

But what are:

N.Rajah
N.Villosa
N.Edwardsiana
N.Macrophylla
N.Lowii
N.Trusmadiensis
N.Kinabaluensis
N.Ephippiata
N.Hamata (considered a reg. highland, but can be grown great under Ultrahighlnad conditions)
N.Tentaculata

Not sure on my spellings

N. macrophylla
N. lowii
N. edwardsiana
N. epiphita

Pyro

Cpjungle has an interesting list :

http://www.cpjungle.com/nuspecies.htm

it's not "perfect", but helpful...

not all of the spezies can be easiliy obtained, for excample, N x kinabalunensis, N x trusmadiensis, N. edwardsinana are not in vitro yet. (to my limited knowlege, of course)

Martin

How about:

N eymae
N glabrata
N sanguinea
N burbidgeae
N fusca
N maxima
N spectabilis
N jacquelineae (Not in cultivation though hehe
smile.gif
)
N inermis
N dubia
N diatas
N densiflora
N bongso
N aristolochioides
N lavicola
N mikei
N ovata
N ramispina
N rhombicaulis
N singalana
N talangensis

I think the list goes on quite a bit.

BTW: As you can probably figure out, I got both of Charles Clarke's books last week...they ROCK!!!
biggrin.gif

Joel

Mindmaze where did you get the books? I have had my eye on them too. Thanks.

I got the two books from online nature stores based in Singapore . I just typed the names of the books on google and I got tons of hits instantly. I forget the names of the places, but they shipped the books the very next day. The price was good, although shipping to PR cost me $20 or a little less per book. I'm glad that I have the books though!
smile.gif

Joel

I will add muluensis

There is some confusion on vieillardii. It is often thought of as a highland plant when in fact it isn't. There used to be a plant called veillardii from Doormans Top, New Guinea which is very much highland. This plant is now called N. lamii. (if memory serves correct)
Vieillardii comes from New Caledonia at 300-900m above sea level.

Tony

Pat,

N. jacquelineae and N. dubia already have entered cultivation. According to Borneo Exotics announcement list of plants they will come next year. But I doubt N. jacquelineae will enter into cultivation very much due to its large size...

The ACPS sells both books of Clarke for reasonable prices to their members.

Joachim

That's why N.Veillardii sounded wierd to me, cause it got a new name! heh, Lamii is familar though. Also I think N.Khasiana should belong here known for it's coldness tolerance.

N. viellardii was first described by Hook in 1873 and the name veillardii for the same plant was introduced by Burbidge in 1904 - I didn't know you are that old N. gracilis...

Joachim ;-)

I am not THAT old!
biggrin.gif
I just study the history of recorded names that have been replaced by the names we now use today. I do alot of check up on Nepenthes. I just have read so much that old and new names are in my head and are abit confusing. Sorta like S. Purpurea subsp Purpurea was once called S.Gibbosa. See what I mean?

Ultrahighland species, which I characterize as growing at a minimum altitude of 2000 m
or more, are the following: NN. murudensis, singalana, macrophylla, aristolochioides,
villosa, diatas, and inermis. I would also include the "Doorman's Top" variety of
N. lamii in this group, as it grows higher than any other Nepenthes.

Other species which grow at a minimum elevation of 1000 m or above, I would merely
consider as highland species, or in the case of those growing from 1000 to 1300 m,
intermediates.

Back