What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Tricolor

I just recently got a U. Tricolor.
smile.gif
Is there anything I should know about the plant because this is my first time growing them so I want to get a good start with them.

I have them in a pot of live sphagnum (don't be misled by the 'pot', it's only 3-inch) which is placed on a tray with water. I don't really bother with it...sorry but it looked like blades of grass...it hasn't flowered for me yet...

Uh-oh. If you're U. tricolor looks like blades of grass, then it's not U. tricolor. U. tricolor should have round leaves, about one cm in diameter.

It's not hard to grow - and kind of wet peat or sand product will support it. It is notoriously hard to get to flower.

Darn! Then what species is that?!
mad.gif

An Utric small grass like stolons could be U. dichotoma or U. uniflora.

Pyro

Maybe it's Commonus Grassius?
LOL

...growing well in live sphagnum?!?

Cindy,

Who was you question directed at? If to me than I can safly say 'yes' as I am growing U. dichotoma in live sphagnum.

Pyro

To Flint. He suggested that it's common grass! Anyway, I found lots of COMMONUS GRASSIUS growing in dead sphagnum.
wink.gif

But Pyro, the leaves have round ends, not pointed ends like grass...is u.dichotoma or u.uniflora like that?

Cindy,

Dichotoma stolons are shaped rather like a grain of rice, maybe slightly more broad. Tricolor stolons are shaped like a lima bean. Another possibility, from the sound of it, is U. sandersonii which has stolons shaped like teardrops.

Pyro

It seems closest to the sandersonii...but how come I don't remember buying that...
sad.gif

stolons? these are something else completely different(creeping stem/runner) ! Perhaps you mean lamina, or leaf blade. Utricularia tricolor leaf blades are almost semi-circular in shape with the leaf stalk connected to the middle of the flat side if that makes sense. this plant is fairly tough and survives down to about 45°C in my greenhouse, but will do better and flower at slightly higher temperatures. It grows quite happily in either peat/sand or sphagnum moss and likes to be kept quite wet with the water level not far below the level of the compost.

Gardenofeden,

Utrics do not have true leaves. Photosynthetic stolon is the correct term for them but for simplicity (or maybe because I'm not a big typist) I just shorten it to stolon.

Pyro

Odds are good that nay unexpected "grass-like" utric is going to be U. subulata. If it sends up tiny flowers that don't open, or for some reason actually opens small yellow flowers, then this is what you have.

Re: the stolons vs. leaves debate: I've done a bit of reading on this subject, and it really depends on who you ask. Utric morphology just doesn't fit well into categories of plant morphologists.

Back