What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. nelumbifolia

How do you grow this plant? Is it hard to obtain?

I saw it in Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry A. Rice
and i immediately said, "I have to have that!"

most grow it in sopping wet LFS, easy to grow and in the right conditions is practically a weed as it will send arial stolons everywhere. not hard to find but not easy either........some looking should turn one up without to much trouble.........

I grow mine a little differently than Rattler but not in the essentials. Very easy with a little effort. And as Rattler said, it can become a weed by "pot hopping".

It turns up from time to time on the trade board, I'd just keep an eye there.

ok. Thanks!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 18 2006,6:32)]most grow it in sopping wet LFS, easy to grow and in the right conditions is practically a weed as it will send arial stolons everywhere. not hard to find but not easy either........some looking should turn one up without to much trouble.........
Same here!

good to know Jim! (and Rattler)

How do you grow yours, Pryo?

is this one the one that has the complete cup shape leaves of the kidney ones? how easy is it for it to flower? i do REALLY like its flowers.
Alex

EDIT: ah its the cup one. nephrophylla is the other. nelumbifolia is still the one i like though.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP30 @ Jan. 01 2007,10:25)]How do you grow yours, Pryo?
The short version:

Mother plant is in an orchid basket lined with LFS with only enough room for a core of pine bark mulch. Topped with live sphag. Sitting in a "tray" (actually a 55G tank but it amounts to the same thing). Water level is no more than 3cm, top water when all water gone from "tray". Light is a 400W MH/HID set 65cm above the tank. Grown as a highlander in the crawlspace.

Pot jumper #1 is on a D. regia pot, media of peat/sand/pine bark mulch. Same watering and lighting.

Pot jumper #2 is on a U. calycifida pot, media straight pine bark mulch. Same watering and lighting.

Aerial offset #1 is in straight live sphag. Same watering and lighting

Aerial offset #2 is in straight pine bark mulch. Same watering and lighting

I am considering trying one of the offsets I have going in the manner of my Orchidioides for kicks. There is a thread here all about that if you are interested.

U. nelumbifolia is one of my all time favorite Utricularia. I grow mine in a 16" pot, I keep the soil damp but not sopping wet. My is almost always in bloom right now it has 17 spikes.

Here are some photos of the flowers.
2006-1-27_U_humboldtii_028.jpg

2006-1-27_U_humboldtii_025.jpg

2006-1-27_U_humboldtii_015.jpg

Thanks,
-Jeremiah-

Jeremiah, it is interesting that all 3 of your photos are named
2006-1-27_U_humboldtii_---.jpg
What gives?

Hello,

Well it is kind of a long story, I acquired the plant labeled U. humboldtii. I grow it until it flowered thinking it was U. humboldtii. Then I posted these photos Pyro informed me that it was not U. humboldtii and ask me what the leaves looked like, I told him they were perfectly round so he said they must be U. nelumbifolia.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

I did?!? My brain must be out to lunch as I seriously do not recall that. I must be getting senile.

And now I am wondering if I am off my gourd because those blooms do look sort of humboldtii-like. Jeramiah, any chance you have photos of the leaves?? An ID is certain then. If not I can pop a couple shots of my plants as a compare and contrast. But I won't be able to load them till tomorrow.

I just looking up the old topic here
It was I guess it was Seandew and Fernando Rivadavia but you added a photo of your leaf to help ID.  Here is a photo of the whole plant.

2006-10-30_Rajah_new_pitcher_099.jpg

Thanks again,
-Jeremiah-

a heli hitch hiker!?
biggrin.gif
what are the red things growing all over the place?
Alex

Yes that is definitly nelumbifolia.

Glider, those red things are mostly aerial stolons (though a couple could be petioles.) Looks like Jeremiah has been training all his back intohis pot. I wonder if that is what I have to do to get mine to bloom??

Back