What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. livida

So, I’m wondering how many different varieties and localities are floating around out there??? Pics?? Anyone know what differentiates U. livida Betty’s beach?

I thought it was U. bisquamata (Betty's Bay). Here's a link to a topic earlier this summer:

U. bisquamata pics

Follow the links to the pictures.
smile.gif

There is apparently also a U. livida Betty's Bay??? I have seen it listed for sale through at least 2 reputable growers...

I have never heard of U. livida "Betty's Bay". U. livida is found in South Africa, so I suppose it is possible, but if so, this form is not widely circulated. I am fairly up on who's who in Utricularia, and I have yet to encounter this form. This would be a case where one photo would be worth a thousand words.

Hmmm, I have an all white with pale violet that I consider the typical form, a wider skirted form with a greenish eye reputedly from South Africa, another similar to the last called "Sp. Durban" and the form widely circulating as U. microcalyx, which has been determined to be U. livida on good authority. There is a supposed Mexican form I have seen photos of with significant variation from the forms I grow.

Utricularia livida "Durban"
Utricularia_livida_Durban_091403.thumb.jpg

Utricularia livida "Sp. South Africa"

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery....umb.jpg

Typical Form

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery....umb.jpg

The "Imposter" U. microcalyx, a likely U. livida form

Utricularia_microcalyx_uncertain_flower_122403_1.thumb.jpg

This is a widely distributed and highly variable species. We probably cultivate the merest percentage of the available variation, considering the number of attempts that have been made to describe these variations as new species.

I have noticed a very great difference in the behavior of these clones in cultivation. The typical form is robust, producing dense growth. The other forms are far less generous with either their flowers or above ground parts in similar media and growing conditions.

Nice topic. Here are pics of the two forms i grow.. follow this ling: LINK

Mexico form

ok, im looking at all these pic and it is very hard to tell the difference between some of these forms.. but then again it could be the different growing conditions. Im very interested in obtaining more forms and putting them all together in the same growing conditions and seeing what happens. I think it would be great to see which forms are identical/different.

It would make for a good experiment

Seb,

I would say those are pretty much the same as what I grow. Occasionally what I refer to as the typical form gets that pale green eye.

Hi guys.

Speaking of that weird "U. microcalyx" plant. If it didn't seem so darn unlikely, I would swear that it was a cross between U. livida and U. sandersonii. Look at the top corolla lobe: it looks like what I would expect a cross between the two to look like - some flowers even have a notch in the centre o fht top lobe, but the colouring alone reminds me of U. sandersonii. The bottom corolla lobe also has similar markings and shape to U. sandersonii, just much larger.

The two plants are quite closely related, and I seem to remember one of the first people I saw with it on their growlist claimed that it had just "appeared" in a pot.

By the way, this whole discussion about how many varieties is an excellent argument for formally registering cultivars.

I definitely see how you see U. sandersonii in this not_microcalyx. I have suggested the same possibility. I don't get the "feel" that this is just a U. livida variation.

Hmmm, the variability could also argue FOR formal registration. How else to distinguish one variation from the other when trading/buying/selling? I wonder how many different clones are actually being cultivated? A lot of times this material stems from small initial collections widely distributed over time.

I have a U. Livida too. I don't know what variety...I'm assuming it's just a typical. It hasn't flowered yet...and it...may...not *tear* It's hanging in there though. Darn you algae!

Back