What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.livida, submerged? and collecting seeds

hey i have a u livida, it dosen't seem so exciting to me, i dont see any traps and they grow like weed, they just look like small green spikes on the soil, and the flowers are small brown balls...
rock.gif

i was thinking of submerging it to see the traps? maybe it will be more exciting? will it survive?

1 more thing how do i collect the seeds? the fruits are puny, when do i pluck the seed pods out?

thanks

If this plant is producing seeds I doubt whether it is Utricularia livida

Sean.

hi,
im not even sure if it produces seed! it grows like weed in everywhere but all i know is that they produce flower
thanks

That isn't U. livida; it's probably U. subulata. The traps are buried in the soil, and there aren't many ways, if any, to make this species exciting. If you really want the seeds, collect the pods whey they turn brown & dry and crush them with your fingers over a pot or some paper or something.

Giles

hmmm, yes thats the one, U subulata the traps are underground...
then how do they catch food underground? earthworms?
tounge.gif

Their prey is much smaller than earthworms, think microscopic!

Like micro worms, springtails,and fungus gnat larvae!

Back