What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A student of mine had given me a wide variety of carnivorous plants (I think 6) that I think he purchased from a store. I'm not sure what one of them is. I think the container is labeled as U. Livida. I was able to identify the other plants, so I came here and from this website (and a process of elimination), I think it might be a Ultricularia. The plants are really small, but I think are healthy. I am not familiar with this plant. I'm assuming it likes higher humidity (along with the other plants). The plants are still in their little plastic pots (about 2 inches in diameter). For now, I have them all sitting in a tall Rubbermaid container that has a clear lid. In the bottom of the container, I have a little bit of standing water. I also have a fluorescent growing light above them and have been keeping it on for about 7-8 hours a day. I also think it's important to mention that I live in North central Ohio...where it's starting to get dark about 4:00pm and outside temperatures can get below freezing (calling for snow on Thanksgiving). I am not sure what to do with some of these plants. Can anyone give me advice? Do they need to be planted? What type of soil do they prefer? How much light, water, insects, temperature, etc. do they prefer? Is this a "carnivorous" plant, if so, how does it consume its food? Are they supposed to go dormant? Any advice would be most greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dwight

P.S. The plants I received are:
Butterwort (Pinguicula primulaflora),
Round leaved sundew (Drosera caperolsis),
VFT (D. akai),
American pitcher plant (S. pupera)
tropical pitcher plant (Nepenthes ventricosa),
and a U.Livida (which I have no idea what that is).
I apologize for any misspellings, I got them off of the containers and they are not the easiest handwriting for me to read.

U. livida. a absolutly wonderfull lil bladderwort. it is the species i started with and if kept warm will bloom almost year round. i keep mine in a 3 inch pot that was originally filled with just peat but as i have taken chunks out for trade and gifts i have filled the holes with sphagnum and sand it doesnt have much of a preferance but a basic peat mix will work wonderfully. the pot sits in a dish about the same height as the pot that i fill up completly and let it evaporate til only about 1/2 inch is left in the bottom and then fill up again. humidity is a non issue. they like high humidity but because their "leaves" are so short and close to the soil surface as long as the pot is sitting in water the humidity coming from the soil surface is enough. its simple to grow and flower and the genus is a bit addicting at last count i had aroung 30 pots of Utrics and a sorta similar genus Genlisea with very few extra pots of the same species. if you decide you like U. livida i suggest finding U. sandersonii, another easy to grow common easy to flower species with a totally different flower shape.

others will have to help you on the rest of your plants as i dont have any of those.

Rattler

The D. 'akai ryu' will be the only plant that needs dormancy. P.primuliflora will need extra humidity IME. The Nep will do best in a greenhouse(But will do fine if it gets a good amount of light and the soil is kept MOIST no standing water!)
You`ll probably want to move most of the plants into like trays of water or somethin` and slowly aclimate them to lower humidity,and keep them above 45*f at night,put them like 2 in of the top of the plant(or closer is better) under twin tube flourescents....This will last you for a while but you`ll eventually eithyer fill your room with flourescent lights,or get a greenhouse,or do both! Cps are addictive!!!

I agree U.livida is awesome.

It will spread alover the place in no time. Oh,almost forgot WELCOME TO THE FORUMS <u>Dwight
</u>

Back