What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Gibba

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
Generally, when will a u. gibba flower. It didnt flower last year, should it flower this year?

Flowering will depend on how you are growing the plant. If it is floating in a tank/jar then it is very unlikely to flower. The plant usually only flowers when it starts to grow onto mud or when the water level begins to drop. If you have enough, place some in a seperate jar of water that has a layer of peat on the bottom, but instead of topping the water up, let it evaporate. As the water level gets critically low, the plant may decide to flower as a survival mechanism. Once flowering is over, just re-fill the jar and grow the plant on as normal.
Good luck!!

Ah, I see, I had mine put in a jar with peat, but it was floating in the water.

Aquatics and fixed aquatics rarely if ever flower when container grown in my experience.

Would they do better if growing on tha bank of a small bog? I am just now setting up a new bog for my deck. I have a peat shoreline, do you guys think this will be sufficient for the utric to decide it want's to flower?

Along a bank would probably work fine. I saw a huge mess of these flowering in FL along the sides of ditches.

how exactly are you using that shoreline thing? wouldnt all the water waterlog the plants a make a lot of root rot, or do you have some of it partially covered off w/ plastic? Can you send us a picture plz?

If you are currently growing them as aquatics it would be hard to get them any more waterlogged than they already are
smile.gif

For a real good cultivation description go here:

U. gibba cultivation

no, flit said he is making a bog w/ a water shoreline. wouldnt the water thats always there seem to water log the other plants that are not aquatic?

Back