What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. asplundii problem......

ok my asplundii had two lolons. i checked on it yesterday and the two lolons had shriveled up. i havent changed my watering procedure so im not sure why it happened. does this species go into a dormancy? on a positive note i unpotted it to make sure the rolons were still alive and the look fine AND it has over twice the number of tubers as when i first recieved it. so should i be worried? any suggestions? its my only epiphytic species so i have no other personal experiance to go by.

Epiphytic utrics do sometimes go into a brief dormancy

smile.gif

I would not stress too much. While I disagree with the assertation that the Orchidioides have dormancy periods (I have my own theory but that is not relevant here) I can assure you that my asplundii has done this as well. I do not know what the cause is though I suspect it might be a fungus (I found powdery growth on mine.) Let the media dry out a bit more between waterings and it should be fine.

no fungus, im quite aware of what that does and there was none to be seen. im not terribly worried as it has a bunch of healthy looking tubers. i just wasnt expecting it to loose its lolons and it came as a complete surprise. being its winter maybe the humidity took a nose dive and thats what did it. i think ill move it in with my highland Nepenthes and see if it likes it better there than with my Drosera. it will get better humidity.

Oh well see, I assumed that you had it in a Nep type set up since that is where I have mine. There is the problem with assuming I guess.

didnt have it in with the neps cause it was doing fine where it was, and growing quite well. stupid winter sucks away the humidity and i didnt think of it.

never grown it, but if it has tubers then it could go into dormancy like alpina. my U.alpina goes dormant every winter and the leaves die back.

Back