What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.alpina

Colieo

Staff member
Hey, this is more of a recomondation rather than a question. With my U.alpina, I started growing it in a peat:sand:perlite mix, but the plant just kinda sat there. So, I transplanted it into sphagnum:perlite, and now it has doubled the amount of photosynthetic stolons, and it is already starting to grow out of the holes I melted in the side of the pot. Has anyone else noticed it growing better in LFS, or did my plant just not catch up until later on? What have you grown yours in?

Cole

I have mine in pure live LFS, in my holey pots, sitting in a couple cm of water under high humidity in a closed terrarium. I think this is the only way to go for me: more dense mediums just dont produce the same results for me. I have been growing mine under the same light conditions outside that suit lilly of the valley (if you are familiar with this plant): broken morning sun for a few hrs., afternoon shade; both this and the U. reniformis forms are doing very well with it. The scapes are growing on the U. reniformis small form daily! Maybe next year the U. alpina will flower if I can figure out a good feeding strategy!

A friend gave me a few U. alpina seeds to try. What information can you give me as the best way to germinate these seeds, and any other information (its winter here now). I will try a very open mix, sphagnum perlite, as you recomend, if I can get them to germinate.

Thanks
George

Sow them as quickly as possible! The viability is not long for this seed. I think I would attempt it with a slurry of live moss and water until germination is noted, and then gradually deain the medium as the seedlings take hold.

Thanks I will plant them as soon as I get a chance. What temp are they best kept at, as it is quite cold here but can place them in a terarium at about 30c?

George

Binataboy,

You need to keep them a lot cooler than 30C. While the plants come from S. America they prefer highland type cultivation. Shoot for 20-23C and they will be much happier.

Thanks for the info everyone, I will try to plant them later tonight, fingers crossed!

Temperature will be a pain though, its got to 15c today... Well sit them ontop of my terarium and keep an eye on the temp.

George

15C is okay, I drop mine to that nightly. These Utrics tend to prefer things a bit cooler.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Cole

Back