What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type of paint (pollination) brush?

• Thread starter thbjr
  • Start date

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
OK, I am getting a fine paint brush to do some pollinating. Is there a prefferance between a nylon/synthetic and real hair brush? Or is there some other type of brush I should look for.
Thanks,
Tom

I use a 99 cent store fine brush. Im not sure what its made of but I dont think it really matters.

Shawn

VERY intresting Ron. I had no idea you could use vegetable oil in pollenating. Will that work with other species, Drosera or Cephs?

My preferred tool is a number 0 water color spotting brush. Bristle material doesn't matter but I used to only buy red sable for my painting. Difficult to find these days.

I've used toothpicks, matchsticks, paper matches (the torn end), fingertips, a tiny taper of paper, tweezers. Anything really that will give you control you need and that the pollen will marginally adhere to. You can pluck off an anther or two with tweezers and do it that way too.

A risk in using a paint brush is that pollen can remain from a previous pollination attempt and you might create unintended crosses. That's the advantage of the Meadowview method, since each toothpick is used just once.

A quick swoosh in some water after every flower is enough to get rid of any leftover pollen in my experience.

The type of paintbrush doesn't really matter. A cheap set of kids brushes does the trick!

Back