What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two questions

Hello all!
Here are two quick questions:

1. How can I make my new Cephalotus get less light than other plants in the same terrarium? It has refelectors on 3 sides and is 24 gal. tall (I think).

2. Would a cool white "normal" light bulb be okay for a 5-10 gallon lowland tank? I believe that the light would produce sufficien heat, too.
confused.gif

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

(1) For the cephalotus you could place a shade cloth over it.

(2)By "normal" I assume you mean "incandescent," and most people will tell you absolutely NO, but I have played with the idea myself and I grew 3 large and healthy VFT's under one, with excellent coloration to the traps. I did have to water them every day overhead because the water evaporated very quickly. I have not tried any other species though.

Ok, thanks!
Are you suggesting that I just cut out a small piece of shade cloth and drape it over some plant stakes on the edge of the pots? That's what I was thinking...
wow.gif
tounge.gif
So you did a little experiment with the incandescent? I only said normal so some newbies would understand...
confused.gif
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back