What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Questions

G

First off, my N. x judith finn are producing leaves that get smaller with every new one yet, the pitchers are staying the same size or larger. What's up with that? And, I got a cutting from someone over the summer, that was taken in May. It has roots, but no new leaves. When will it produce a shoot? And about my rafflesiana( sarawak giant). How can a plant with leaves that measure almost two feet, with a similar tendril length, and with pitchers that should grow over a foot tall, only produce 6 inch pitchers? Is that normal for the species? It's in all the right conditions. One more thing. My N. truncata is producing really big pitchers. The last one was 9 inches, and I'm hoping the next will be neer 11.

Is your N. xJudith Finn in intermediate/highland terrarium conditions? Mine did OK for about 6 months in lowland and then began doing the same thing-the leaves also started developing weird deformities (like a kink in one side and the pitchers did not last as long as they do now). Once I put it in the highland tank it has become twice the plant it was.

As for your cutting, you've just got a stump with roots if I understand your description? If so there must be a dormant growth node on the stalk somewhere to produce leaves. I don't know if a cutting can grow with no leaves at all... Do you mean the leaves are cut in half? If so then it's a normal cutting and just may be taking a long time to get going depending upon the plant the cutting was taken from. No matter what I do my 3 cuttings of N. maxima x bongso just refuse to do much at all. They've put on 4 leaves since March no matter which terrarium I grow them in they do not seem to grow vigorously but they are healthy just horribly slow.

The pitchers might be small if the plant isn't getting enough light Tony talked about light in relation to pitcher size in the post "Any Large Hamata owners". He's got some info there you might check out.

Where my judith finn grows, the humidity stays above 60% during the day, and rises to 75% at night. Day temps. are yusualy nomore than 75-76F during the day, and cooler at night. The maxima x ventricosa ctting has roots, but no new growth( shoots from dormant buds). It was taken in late May. As for the giant rafflesiana, it should have enough light. The pitchers are coloring up really nicely, the stem is reddish, and the leaves have orange margins( on the verrry edge). But, today I think I saw what may be an offshoot on my giant rafflesiana
smile.gif

judith finn is slow for me

and to beh onest with you it does teh same thing, all the new leaves are small and the pitchers are getting pretty large and nice!

personally i like it alot

I don't have Judith Finn so I can't really help you! But I have heard that it is a wierd acting plant for alot of people.

aye

they should clal it the weird finn not judith

Back