What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Neps, One Pot

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Is it possible to pot two different nep species together? I got my first neps a few weeks ago and I love them. I'm going to eventually order more. The problem is, the greenhouse I have (will be set up next week) is only 6x8 and I'm going to hang the neps in baskets. The baskets are like $10 each and I don't want to spend nearly $20 (basket + medium) to pot one nep every time I get new ones. Is there a reason why I can't pot two or three in the same pot, as long as the pot is big enough? Can this only be done with same species, or can it be done with say a truncata and a ventricosa?

of course. I've got pots here with 3 or 4 different species of nep in it. Just a matter of space is all.

of course. I've got pots here with 3 or 4 different species of nep in it. Just a matter of space is all.

Great! Thanks. :)

Keep in mind though that if the roots grow together (which they certainly will if left in the same pot long enough) you could have problems seperating the two plants later.

Keep in mind though that if the roots grow together (which they certainly will if left in the same pot long enough) you could have problems seperating the two plants later.

True, but if I repot them every 9-12 months, I don't think they'll have time to grow across at 12" pot though, right? ???

Why on earth would you plan to repot them every 9 months once you have them in large hanging baskets??? Nepenthes can happily grow in the same container for years, if you have the media mix right. Considering how expensive Nepenthes are, the purchase of the containers, even at $10 apiece, is negligible.

indeed. But I usually separate them before they get too big for the pot.

Why on earth would you plan to repot them every 9 months once you have them in large hanging baskets??? Nepenthes can happily grow in the same container for years, if you have the media mix right. Considering how expensive Nepenthes are, the purchase of the containers, even at $10 apiece, is negligible.

When I was keeping orchids, it was suggested to repot often, every 9-12 months. I won't be changing the pot, just the medium. It does make sense that the can use the same medium since they grow in typically poor soil in the wild... Or so I read.

You don't need to repot that often it will probably stress the plants out. Anyways if you use a soil mix heavy in coir or fir bark it can last for a long time. I have a nepenthes maxima that's been growing in the same pot and mix for almost 2 1/2 years and it's very happy.

Do you know how long a 50/50 perlite/sphanum would last? ???

I would just bite the bullet and buy the extra pots/media. Nepenthes can be very sensitive to root damage, and growing two plants in one pot might cause you some considerable headache in the future. Just some helpful advice, especially since you look to be new to this.

Regarding media, a 50/50 peat perlite mixture can break down pretty quickly compared to some other more resilient mixes. I like to use a mixture of peat, perlite, orchid bark, and long fiber sphagnum moss. I first layer the bottom of the pot with orchid bark to increase drainage, and then use a 1:1:1 mixture of peat and perlite and LFS. I also repot most of plants annually in the spring, where dead material gets clipped back, a healthy spray of systemic insecticide (for insurance), and all new media. There is no right answer, and there is a multitude of media types you can use out there. It mostly depends on frequently you want to water your plants, I like having the peat in the mix because it holds water fairly well without getting waterlogged due to the rest of the mix. Everybody has their personal favorite, look around and do some reading and you should be good to go.

Back