What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tubers

Erm right
I just ordered a D. auriculata and it is being sent as a tuber. Now I have never had a sundew in tuber form before and I am little worried about planting this time of year and rotting off.
Any tips, cause I live in the UK and there is a whole reverse seasons thing because the plant is Australian - so now I am confused whether it is the right season to grow.

Aaaaahhh the confusion and frustration.

Mr Sundew (not living up to his name!!&#33
wink.gif

Your concern is quite legitimate. Tubers from the Southern hemisphere must be acclimated to the Northern before planting. Most tuberous species are just going dormant in Australia. I would place the tuber with a little barely damp peat and store it in a cool dark place. After some time, the tuber will begin to sprout, just like a little potato at which point you can plant it, just check it from time to time.

Mr Sundew,

From what I have heard, when you have the tuber it is best to store it in a cool dry place and observe it regularly until you see a sprout. At this time you plant the tuber at a depth of about 3 times its diameter, sprout facing up. Only fill the hole to the level of the sprout, adding a little media (or pure sand) everytime the sprout breaks through, mist gently daily. Once the media is level you can now place the pot on the tray. Give the plant as much bright light as possible while still trying to maintain a temp under 75 degrees. When you notice that the plant is dying back then remove it from the tray and allow it to slowly dry out. Keep the pot with the now dormant tuber in a sheltered location out of direct sun and when you see growth the next year replace on the tray.

If I recall, D. auriculata is one of the species that can take wetter media during the winter so it is probably a good starter plant.

Hope this helps.

Pyro

Working out the seasons, here in the UK we are going into Autumn so the Aussies are going into Spring. I am taking a giant leap here - will the tuber be sprouting soon?? The dormancy period seems to be December to March so by September in the UK the tuber should be beginning to sprout. Does this sound about right?
confused.gif

If I get the tuber by the end of this week I'll put it into dark storage then and check it every day.

Thanks then

Mr Sundew

Actually you are a little backwards. These plants have evolved the tuber formation to help them survive the extreme hot and dry summers in W. Australia so they grow during the Aussie winter which would be April-Sept (your summer.) This is why acclimating them can be a problem because you want them to grow during your cool winters and most people recieve them right after they have gone dormant.

There are some dealers that sell material that is already acclimated and there is a new technique coming out where the tuber is stored in parafin and can be "awakened" at any time so these are your best sources for getting plants that are on your growing season.

Back