What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous Drosera

Hi !!
I'm interested to grow one of these tuberous Drosera, D.peltata or D.auriculata. Which kind of growing medium they require? Are they easy to germinate from seeds or I have to follow a particular procedure?

Regards

rajah

I've germinated D.peltata. It's easey enough, the good thing though is that the seeds last a long time. They like cool temperatures around 55-75ºF. I think a good soil mix for them is 2 parts sand and one part peat moss. They germinate best at 55-65ºF though.

2-3 parts sand to one part peat are the most generally cited soils. I have heard rumor that the seeds germinate better if given something like an inverse stratification, sow them over the media and mist lightly to settle the seed then put in a hot spot for a month or more and then move to cooler temps. To keep most of these species growing happily you have to keep them below 25 deg C but peltata and auriculata are more tolerant higher temps. When the plant starts to die back, allow the media to dry slowly and keep the pot in a location with high enough humidity to keep the tuber from desicating.

Back