What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous drosera hybrids

Has anyone had success with creating Tuberous hybrids or cultivars?

I have germinated some hybrids within the stolonifera complex though these are not strong. I have also crossed erythrorhiza ssp with good seed production but no germination.

cultivars are naturally quite easy but as most species are slow growing it takes several seasons before plants show true characteristics. I have created some that may be of interest but will not know until next season.

Thanks
Greg

Greg,

All I can do is drop my jaw! I sure would like to see those D. erythrorhiza hybrids! I presume you have tried fire strat on the seed? Regular D. erythrorhiza is hard enough to germinate, I have never had success with any method. They laugh at GA3.

The same problem seems to arise with hybridizing the pygmy species. Have you managed to do any crosses of these?

I've learend quite a bit in the last few days about hybrids. Not going to give anything away at this stage but I will attempt some hybrids of pygmys this year. I'll get some of the tuberous ones in culture as the seed is so hard to germinate. the erythrorhiza complex is extremely difficult but while in WA I made some interesting observations on germination methods used by D. erythrorhiza ssp. collina. You'll have to wait for the article on this one.

By the way, I believe I saw the natural hybrid D. hetrophylla x marchantii ssp. prophylla while in WA. I had suspected this to occur several years ago and successfully created this hybrid. I don't think my plants will flower until next year but I'll keep you posted.

Greg

Hi,

on the one hand I like the experiment to make hybrids on the other hand I am sad because these species are rare and get poached (by "lets call him mister great triology author").

So I would like to see some growers who can sell self-bred seeds of these seldom species!

Good growing
Jan

P.S. excuses for the bad english!

Hi,

I totally agree with you Jan. Less poaching and more of these species grown from seed I say! I'm not totally against the idea of hybridisation of the different species though. I doubt whether anybody is going to give up their collection of tuberous species in pursuit of a career in tuberous hybridization. The species have too much to offer in themselves.

Sean.

Jan,

I have been vocal about my objections to people ripping up Australian plants and selling field collected tubers (not that this is going to stop it). These plants are in trouble in Australia, just as they are in other parts of the world.

The good news is Phill Mann is getting many of the native Australian plants into tissue culture, so the CP community may soon have alternatives to purchasing field collected tubers.

Hi,

Phil must be a very nice guy, I heard only good things about him!

I planned TCing of tuberous drosera for this year, too. If there is enough time for such things, I will share some of the material the year after. Living next to a university and knowing many people, I will probably use a biochem lab there.

Has anyone tested media for tuberous drosera?

Good growing!

Jan

P.S. I heard of plants grown in tc tubes (from seed) which flowered after 10 months!

G'day Jan, Sean, and others,

I've just visited Phil and others in WA as well as 30 or so Tuberous species and done a bit of research. The main reason I do the hybrids is because you need two clones of many species to make seed and I don't like to waste flowers. I much prefer to grow the species.

Phil has some species in culture but has no luck getting them to produce tubers. There is another grower in Aust who has many species in culture and is having great success. This is good news for conservation as he may soon be able to supply large quantities of plants world wide.

The production of hybrids can tell us a lot about the species. It is a very worthwhile cause. After all we don't want the CPs to end up like the Orchids relying on genetic work which is completely unworkable.

By the way, if any of you want some seed of species I will produce some this year which I can trade. The definates will be D. stricticaulis, auriculata (many forms), peltata (many forms), gigantea and macrantha ssp. planchonii. Depending on flowering there may be a dozen or so more but I cant promise anything.

Greg

Hi Greg,

you mention good points. Instead of wasting flowers trying to create some hybrids is a good idea. We recently discussed the topic in another forum for Nepenthes (would be better to create more species seed than creating so much hybrids, but if no other partner of the same species is flowering...).

Good growing!
Jan

Back