What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tsunami warning!

• Thread starter Capslock
  • Start date
Uh oh!!!!
------------------

Special Weather Statement
Statement as of 8:30 PM PDT on June 14, 2005

... A tsunami warning is in effect for the coastal areas from the
California-Mexico border to the north tip of Vancouver Island
British Columbia inclusive...

Earthquake data...
preliminary magnitude 7.4
location... 41.3 north 125.7 west... or 90 miles NW of Eureka, CA
and 300 miles NW of San Francisco CA at 751 PM PDT.

It is not known... repeat not known... if a tsunami exists... but a
tsunami may have been generated. Therefore persons in low lying
coastal areas should be alert to instructions from their local
emergency officials. Persons on the beach should move to higher
ground if in a warned area. Tsunamis may be a series of waves which
could be dangerous for several hours after the initial wave arrival.

This tsunami warning includes the entire California coast. Estimated
time of arrival in the San Francisco area is approximately 923 PM
PDT.

Hey u beat me.I was just gonne post this.The estimated time for BC is 10:40pm.This is something BC Canada doesn't have to deal with everyday
confused.gif
I better start packing.~Niki~

Ok news update.The Tsunami watch was just cancelled.Thank god! ~Niki~

I have a feelin we will be getting alot of those false warnings after earthquakes for awhile

Ah, that's kind of scary. I live about 100-150 ft above the Puget Sound - am I going to drown if a tsunami hits? I've seen warning sirens around Olympia, and certainly downtown could flood. Hmm... makes you think.
Didn't they used to just say 'tidal wave?' When did 'tsunami' catch? Not that I don't like a little foriegn vocabulary to spice up my English.
~Joe

I think people have heard it so much now its become more common in vocabulary. Too bad it takes an exceptional disaster to learn a new word. But I'm VERY glad it got cancelled. What a relief!

"Tidal wave" was scrapped because it has nothing to do with tides (phases of the moon).  If it did, it would be predictable.

I'm VERY glad it got cancelled.I live 2 hours away from Vancouver Island(where it was supposed to hit)but I have a bunch of friends there. ~Niki~

Back