What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tsuname disaster relief update

Tsuname Disaster Relief Update

We're monitoring the situation here closely and have been in contact with people at the disaster zones who are providing first aid relief. It seems that the relatively small funds we can raise may be well spent on helping children. After the aid agencies have done their work and left, there will be numerous children who are orphaned or disabled. The Sri Lankan Government will be left with this final mess and they simply cannot afford to do anything much about it, as the country is pretty much broke. There is no social security system in Sri Lanka and charitable aid is the only hope for these kids. We can put funds to use to help construct a new orphanage, or to provide surgery or perhaps prosthetic limbs for disabled children to help them live normal lives. It's amazing what a small amount of money can achieve here.

To address some concerns of security we have made a secure SSL webpage for donations at:

https://ssl.nshosts.com/borneoexoticscom/onlinepayment.aspx

To make it even safer we've introduced extra encryption over and above the SSL security. There is really no significant risk in putting your credit card details into this page.

Thank you very, very much to those who have helped so far. As time goes by the images will fade from the TV screens but the suffering does not end there. The staff at BE (every one of them) have volunteered to contribute a day's wages to this cause. We aren't going to manage to raise a fortune but whatever we can raise will be put to the best possible use.

Rob, Diana, Leon & all the Staff at Borneo Exotics

I'm glad to be able to contribute. Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated.

Capslock

Bump. Donate, people!

Capslock

Definitely a worthy cause... I'm in!

Edit: Let's kick some butt people!! Donate... even if it's just a few bucks.

Got it Steve, thanks! Collection is going well, will post an update later in the week.

Hey Rob,

Looks like you have got everyone interested in helping. We had a visiting priest from Sri Lanka 2 years back, Father Peter, who was with us for a year. He is okay and we have contacted him and his parish. They are okay, but we are also collecting donations for his countrymen.

I think is even tougher when you know someone who is affected by the disaster, but it warms the heart to see everyone donate time and money to help in anyway they can.

Keep it up Rob. You have inspired a bunch of folks.

Rick"o"

Thanks Rick, it's not me, it's the folks donating that will make a difference.

Would like to take the opportunity to add that despite reports of the massive response world-wide and reports of the huge amounts of money being raised, it's just not going to entirely crack the problem.  There was unbelievable poverty in some of these areas before the Tsunami, with just a very few tiny charities and volunteers helping out.  Those charities are still out there struggling with little funding and they will still be there when the dust has settled so to speak.  An example is a group of Norwegian volunteers that have been around for years helping children and only put a website up a few days ago at Four Seasons we're checking on their funding situation.

Thanks for all the information Rob.  It is indeed a disaster with long-term consequences and even the huge amounts of aid now is a drop in the bucket.  But it all adds up!  The photos I've seen on TV are heartwrenching.  
smile_h_32.gif
 So many children orphaned.

We all need to remember to donate again on down the road.  This first burst of concern is only a band-aid to the larger picture.

I have finally heard from Troy.  He and his family are alright.  I'm so relieved.

I made my donation. I hope it gets there.
smile.gif
Thanks for keeping us informed Rob.

Bumping this...don't forget to donate. Even if its just a few dollars.
smile.gif

Just to let you know that there's a new update at www.borneoexotics.com/aspx/disaster.aspx with some details as to how the fund is going and how some of the money is being used.

Thanks again everyone for helping these people
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Jan. 06 2005,5:46)]Bumping this...don't forget to donate.  Even if its just a few dollars.  
smile.gif
I will! I just needed to get permission from my boss(wife).

Cheers,

Joe

Giving this another bump. If you haven't donated and can, please do! This is an ongoing thing.

Maybe the next time you get ready to go out to dinner, buy the latest CD or buy a new plant, think about what the tsunami victims have...which is basically nothing but each other. What would be a very small sacrifice for us would be a huge help to those victims. Remember...there are thousands of orphans now...they have nothing but the kindness of family and aid organizations.

My office held a charity car wash and we raised (at last count) almost $4,000! That was about 7-8 of us out washing cars on a cold day. One lady gave us a check for $250 and one of our agents paid $1,500 and didn't even get his car washed! One young girl came up and said she didn't have much money on her but she gave us all she had...$3. So sweet.

Even if you don't give now...try to remember to give later on when this fades a little out of news. The need continues even when its out of the limelight.

Thanks everybody.
smile.gif

Back