What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to start over,need suggestions on CPs

I've moved around like crazy for about 8 months and am finally able to stay in one place.
Basically where I am living it's hot(70F-85F),dry 45% humidity and always sunny(I'm in Hawaii again).
I have some nepenthes that don't like the weather and I'm honestly not sure what will do well,
I've had great success with Mexican Pings but that's it.
Since the sun here is mega intense,I'm thinking your typical Binata,
tropic form of filformoris or almost any dew will get fried.
But since I've never grown in this type of conditions
before,I'd like to ask and not make assumptions.

Shade cloth for the Nepenthes?

The sheer low humidity makes them unhappy,
I've got them on a deck with ambient light(no direct sun,ambient is fine),
at one part of the island I stayed they grew like weeds outside but it rained 100 inches yearly there.

ellisonk001 lives in Hawaii and he grows all of his Neps outside under shade cloth, do a search for one of his latest threads he uploaded lots of pictures, he has some very nice specimen so I dont think you're going to be stuck with only a few plants ;) Good luck!

Edit: Here's the link I was referring to http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117523

The primary problem is that Hawaii has a vast array of climates.
Desert,rain forest,highland cloud forest and many more climates I can't think of right now.

Where he lives it's not on the Big Island
(The Big Island has all the distinct climates)
so it's got to be hot and really humid.
I'll give a growing rack with some water in trays a shot with my nepenthes,
hopefully that will give them a good chance.

Go with some hardy lowland nepenthes outside. Aquatic utrics too.

You could grow stuff indoors... Then you could grow anything.

I've contemplated the idea of doing windowsill nepenthes,there isn't much indoor realestate.
I think I know what I can have,just have to get some stuff setup like a growrack,some pans for water and some neps from a local nursery.

drosophyllum, roridua, and byblis should do well for you...N. truncata, merrilliana, and other thick-leaved LL neps should adjust easily and thrive for you...aquatic utrics would probably love it there, and possibly aldrovanda...VFTs could work...hmmm... :)

Not all Neps require high humidity, I do not live in Hawaii but over here during the winter months my RH drops to 25-30% and all of my Neps grow just fine. I dont grow anything like hamata or villosa, just lowlander and intermediates. Take a look at my growlist if you'd like and see the variety, the only Neps I keep in a terrarium for humidity purposes are bicalcarata and ventricosa. My ventricosa pitchers dont last long if the RH is too low though other growers have had no problems. You should have good success with easier ones like truncata, rafflesiana, sanguinea, alata etc... Just water them in the morning and keep them under a shade cloth. If the medium dries out to quick then water at night as well or only when the medium begins to get dry at the top.

Welcome back!

I have about the same humidity (45%) and my ventricosa and sanguinea are growing outside in full sun except for the afternoon, and they're doing well, especially the sang, which has doubled its leaf size in the last 2 months.

Back