What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata peristome

I was looking at pictures of N. Truncatas today and I have seen some really nice pictures of truncatas with bright red peristomes. I then looked at some websites that sell them and all of there pictures of the truncatas that they sell have green peristomes. Is this just what they look like when they are juvenile or is the red peristome truncata something different?

I assume you're referring to lowland truncata? If that is the case, the peristomes range from red, to candy cane striped. I haven't seen a pure green peristome except on juvenile pitchers.

Highland truncata is a different kettle of fish with much, much larger colour variation.

Here's what mine look like when they first open (within a couple days)...

N_truncata004_web.jpg

... here's what they look like after about a week...

N_truncata001_web.jpg

Yah that's pretty typical for them to open green with some stripes and get redder as they age.  Growing conditions will also play a part in how they color up. One of the problems with photos as you can't know for certain (unless told) at what phase the photo was taken. Many Nepenthes will change color and peristome shape after they open. Some will change rapidly and that's it. While others will just change slowly for a long long time.

It is true they need to be a pretty good sized plant before they even start to really flair, much less show some color.  The young lower pitchers have very little peristome and usually green with maybe a hint of red.

Tony

Back