What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

truncata houseplant

Please, don't refer to outside vendors -- Thanks! suggests nepenthes truncata as a houseplant. But others are saying that it needs alot of humidity. But --- shhows off magnificant nepenthes grown in 35% humidity. Is this reromended or should i stick with a saugania?

Last edited by a moderator:
I grow all my neps as house plants, with around 35% humidity. It does take some species a few months to settle in, but all I have tried work well.
I do have a cross with truncata in it and it grows very well.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Here's a link about my nep house plants:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108509

Still don't know how you managed to grow all those different plants right next to each other elgecko :0o:

Mine are all on a low-humidity balcony outside in San Diego. If you acclimate them slowly, they'll grow just fine in low humidity. Some need a nest of lfs to drop their tendrils on in order to actually make pitchers, but they'll all grow leaves just fine. Hamata is picky about humidity when small and rajah is when it's big I hear, but otherwise they're all doing great.

truncata grows great for me pretty much anywhere I put it. Just don't overwater it!

what ones need a nest of lfs??

Hmm...like tenuis wants to hang in the air and be in the dark in order to pitcher for me (if i leave the tendril trained on lfs in the light it'll abort), sibuyanensis wants to bury in its pot in something coarser like small bark chunks, sibuyanensisXtrusmadiensis wants something to rest on to inflate, hamata wants lfs to sit on to pitcher, jacq wants to sit on lfs for me too it seems, something to sit on for vogelli, aristo and sibXhamata...thorelliXcampy doesn't need something to cling to but really really likes holding onto something. Just stuff I've seen out of my plants - don't know if they're silly antics or real behaviours that are written in stone. The only one of those that are vining and approaching uppers for me right now is the thorXcampy though, so their behaviors might be different when bigger.

Our ambient room humidity runs low here, 20% usually (yeah we go through a lot of lotion). I tried it with most my neps and had luck with some: Lady Pauline (didn't even hiccup), ventricosa, spec x aristo, Red Leopard.. some others did ok but nowhere near as well as in a humid environment, and a few others really hated it. I suspect my low interior humidities are just too low for most neps. But as you can see others have had luck with their setups. If you're not in a really dry area give it a shot!

N.truncata is EASY, a sunny south window and a weekly watering and it grows and pitchers.

Back