What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip To Meijer Gardens in Michigan

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who will be able to make it!

Amori

Due to a few complications, it looks like I will be arriving between 10-11.

If you have a cell phone number, please pm the number and I will give you mine as well.

I will be there between 10 to 10:30. Will be wearing a karate coat so you can pick me out. Till tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Travis

ps
I only know you by forum name...

PS, if you see a Green Dodge Grand Caravan with Ohio Plates that read FLYTRAP, you know I am there.

I'll be there. I'll come at 10:00
smile.gif

I guess I am the complication Nick is talking about.
smile.gif
Death66 and myself will be with Nick.
I'll see you guys tomorrow.

Well, the trip is over. I hope everyone made it back ok. I will say that this was a extremely fun trip. Meijer Gardens has an excellent carnivorous plant collection. I hope everyone made it back ok. I will be posting more info soon. Yes, I am keeping you in suspense
smile.gif

Well I made it home and I agree that this was a really fun trip. I would have been better if my wife could have made it, but she'll be at the next one. The gardens was almost as fun as our motel was. That was one of the best motels I ever stayed at. I can't wait to get back to the Knights Inn in Grand Rapids.
I think the best part this trip was meeting more cp people. Darcie, Travis, Amori, Glenn and his wife made this a great trip. Travis you missed a very nice and
entertaining dinner, I wish you could have made it.
I'm sorry I was a quite, but I was a little worried about my wife.

Yes, I will agree, the Knights Inn was the highlight
rock.gif

Ok, here are some photos

From the Carnivorous Plant House:

cephalotus.jpg

Cephalotus folicullaris

N_bical_hangingbasket.jpg

Nepenthes bicalcarata in a hanging basket.

N_bical_upperpitcher.jpg

Nepenthes bicalcarta upper pitcher.

N_truncata_meijergardens2-31-04.jpg

Nepenthes truncata

N_truncataxveitchii.jpg

Nepenthes truncata x veitchii

P_ionantha.jpg

P. ionantha (this has helped me in further verifying that I do have P. ionantha in my collection).

P_primulifolia.jpg

You can probably guess
smile.gif

I will be posting more later. After looking at the photos I took, I can see that I could have taken alot more
smile.gif

Your showing the giant Ceph to torcher me more for forgetting to get a cutting aren't you? LOL, no seriously it was an awsome viset and I have tons of fun. Thanks for checking out with my familly by the way ;) it made me feel better to know you had a good evening, sorry I wasn't still their.

Thanks again for all the plants Amori, they are settled into my grow racks now and I'm hardening off a few for the living room
smile.gif

For those that missed out, Bummer! It was an awsome trip, and lots of fun. Aside from the collection looking at it's best, Amori was able to identify any plants without tags for us and really knew his stuff
biggrin.gif
He also confermed that the gardens Ceph was a giant form as I had suspected and for many of us, it was the largest ever seen
smile.gif
Too bad it was semi-dormant, when it's in full growth I've seen it filling the whole pot with traps. Very nice picture by Nick
smile.gif

... I wish I had more to say, but it was just such a cool experience I don't think I can explain it in words.

Well it sounds like everyone had a great trip. Thank you Amori for being such a great tour guid. I am sorry I missed you all, maybe next time.

Anytime anyone is coming to see us, let me know. We want to make sure the CP addicts see the back collection!

Thanks again Amori, and I'm glad everyone had such a nice visit.

Steve LaWarre

That was a great trip! It is nice to put the faces that are behind the forum name. It something I thought would never happen to me on this forum. Started off so innocent with one or two post and BAM here I am with these great people that have the same interest as I do.

Amori, Thanks for showing us all around the Garden. You did a great job! What a great weekend this turned out to be.
biggrin.gif
Next time I come up I will let you know Steve.

Travis
smile.gif

What a great trip. Must be an echo in here. The highlight for me was meeting everyone but then I didn't stay at the Knights Inn. Thanks Amori you were a great tour guide. Thanks to Steve LaWarre as well for allowing access to the greenhouses, see ya next visit.

Meijer Gardens is always a great place to visit. I recomend it to anyone who can make the trip. Everyone who went will have to be sure and return in the Spring or Summer to check out the outdoor gardens and the sculpture.

Ozzy, I hope your wife has a speedy recovery!

Great to meet everyone and thanks again to Amori and Steve for making the day possible.

Glenn

I'm glad everyone enjoyed their visit to the Frederik Meijer Gardens. I sure enjoyed meeting everyone and talk some CP.  Thank you all for your kind words.  This wouldn't have happened without Steve's direction, and those of you who devoted to see a few CP after a long drive.  Thanks again
laugh.gif
!

Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Nov. 10 2003,20:29)]But you were on top last time!!!! It's my turn  
wow.gif
now THAT did not sound right...
wow.gif

wow, that trip sounds like it was a whole lot of fun, i wish i could ahve come... pay for the airfare and il be there next time
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
(seriously
tounge.gif
)

Hey Nick, you still ow us some more photoes
smile.gif
I was there, I saw how many you took ;) You're a great photographer BTW, those shots really bring out the best in the plants.

Back