What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip To Meijer Gardens in Michigan

I will not be able to make it. I am going to a SuperBowl Party that weekend. I would love to go but missing the Super Bowl would stink.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Travis
smile.gif

That's the weekend of the superbowl???
Now I have to choose, Superbowl or really cool cp's.
I think the cp's won, I'm going.

I have a question. Are you going to the gardens on the 31st or the 1st or both days?

I would like to go just to meet some fellow cpers but I don't want to miss the super bowl party I'm planning on attending. Fashionably late might work.

I have an idea, invite us all to your party. I'm sure our wives would love that. Right Nick?
tounge.gif

I think the idea is for us to make the drive to Grand Rapids on Friday. Visit the gardens on Saturday. Then head for home Sunday morning. This is what I had in mind.

I can't belive I missed this post! My name is Steve LaWarre and I am the Manager of Indoor Horticulture at FMG. I oversee the CP collection. The CP house opened in September of 2001 and I designed it from the ground up. When the dates are set, Let me know. I will give everyone a tour of the production houses where the bulk of the CP collection is housed. The production areas are normally closed to the public.

A very good friend of mine and volunteer at the Gardens took some great photos of a few neps in the collection and he will be posting them on the forum soon. here is a picture, taken over a year ago, of a very large Nepenthes truncata. Wait until you see the updated pic, this plant is almost twice as big now.
trunc%208-15-02.jpg

This pic is also over a year old so things have changed a bit, but you can get the feel of the room. P. moranensis, D. binata, S. x 'dixie lace' and N. gracilis
mor1%208-15-02.jpg

Anyway, I love to have visitors that are also CP addicts, so please let me know when you all get the dates worked out.

Steve LaWarre
Grand Rapids, MI

Ozzy,

Any idea what time on Saturday? I'm three hours away and I would be driving in on Saturday morning. One of you guys should e-mail Steve LaWarre if you haven't already and let him know when you are going to be there.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

Glenn

I don't know the time yet. We haven't looked that far ahead yet, lol. I would say it would be in the morning around 10 am.
By the way what time do the gardens open? I think that may effect our meeting time.
smile.gif

I have found two motels in the area with room rate of $38 a night. If anyone wants the info send me a pm or go to orbitz.com and look for a motel.

smile.gif
 9:00am - 5:00pm on Saturdays... Oh how totally cool it will be to see the production houses... on a similar note, the tip of my N. ventricosa from the FMG snapped off in an accedent a while back and it looks like it is going to take root as a cutting.  If anyone wants it that is coming on the trip, let me know and I'll bring it along... or I can pick it up at the end of things since I live rather close to the gardens, it only has two leaves at the moment but has lived in the dirt for over 1.5 weeks now and is growing.

... I'll ask this on the tuor if no one sees this thing, but seeing as the head of FMG CP's is in our little fourm now could I ask for some info on the varent of P. moranesis sold at the FMG?  Mine is not a happy plant and I can't for the life of me figure out what it wants from me.  Thanks
smile.gif

Steve:

I will come up a later date. I only live an hour from the GARDEN so most likely in the spring/summer. Unless you all plan the week after the Superbowl then I could go...
rock.gif
Have a great time you all!

Travis

We will be at the gardens on Saturday, and the superbowl is on Sunday. It seems that you should be able to do both the gardens and the superbowl party.
GO CAROLINA!!!!!!!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ Jan. 19 2004,12:11)]Steve:

I will come up a later date. I only live an hour from the GARDEN so most likely in the spring/summer. Unless you all plan the week after the Superbowl then I could go...
rock.gif
 Have a great time you all!

Travis
You had better be their Travis, or tell me when you do go so I can come too, otherwise I'll tell the garden plants to eat you for not viseting with us when you live so close.

Any idea what time on Saturday? I'm planning on coming, I just need to know when I have to get out of bed Saturday morining (never easy!). Are we meeting in the lobby? I'm looking forward to the visit.

Glenn

It looks like I can in the morning of Satuarday. That would be sweet as heck to do! As of now there are no plans for me on Sat. and I plan on keeping it that way. I never fall under peer pressure.
wink.gif

Travis

Yay, I'm excited... I hope they save some of their home grown plants for us to buy. I love getting plants with no shipping stress and nice big pots, they grow so well. I want to get one of their cool VFTs and a P. vulgaris if I can... and any sundew they might have since I can never seem to find them when I go there :p I know they sell them, I just always miss out
sad.gif

I'm not 100% sure that I can make it. Something "Big" has happened and it may prevent me from going. I'll post here when I find out if I can make it.
sad.gif

Hope all is going well. Let us know if you cannot make it.

Please post here if you are coming. We are visiting the garden on Saturday. We will try to meet around 10am at the gardens.

I will be there Nick. Looking forward to meeting you and the other CPers. Hope Ozzy can make it.

Glenn

I will be there unless I get in a crash or something...

Back