What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tray-Water Changes and Cleaning

• Thread starter Zath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    media
It seems that this is a touchy subject, and I've seen it discussed before.

The majority of what I'm hearing is that it's not important, with one or two people saying they clean them occasionally (once / twice a year)

If there's no additional input that isn't an argument, I think the thread has served it's purpose. Thank you to everyone that answered. It gave me some things to think about.

I think that's the best way for this to end, if I have offended fredg in any way it was not an intent. I will be taking a break from TF forums for a while, a few have spoiled the bunch as its said.

I just checked a tray and got a TDS reading of 243. Please tell me what it means.
It means there's 243 ppm of something dissolved in the water. Judging from the pics you post of your plants I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a lot of bad stuff like sodium, calcium, or chloride ions.

Precisely my point, the result is meaningless. That tray contains live sphagnum , perlite and a very very happy Darlingtonia.

edit:- and rainwater ( with the odd disolved slug and worm in it)

Last edited:
Exactly. Dose a sample of zero water to half that 243 with sodium chloride and see what happens...............

Back