What's new

2021 NASC Benefit Auction!

Review the rules in the 2021 NASC Benefit Auction forum. Listing and bidding for the NASC auction begins in
2021 NASC auction is LIVE! List items and bid now, thanks for your support!

Traps still closed! (arg!)

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I fed a japenese beetle to one of my bigger traps a few weeks ago and after it sealed it never re-opened. I know it takes a while but a few weeks... that's outragous! Could it be because of the jap. beetle's hard exo-skeleton? Would that make it harder to dijest? But then again a jap. beetle is a very tough bug. Any insight is appreciated.

The hard exoskeletons are very difficult if not impossible for the plants to digest. I stay away from all beetles as they can damage the plant. You may lose that trap..I think I'd just snip that one off. Try to stay with the soft body insects in the future.

Well that explains a little bit. I fed just a black beetle to one of my traps and it has been closed for around 1 week and a half. But the trap was like 2 to 3 times bigger than the beetle. I am not going to snip it off until it turns black because I am not giving up hope that quick.

dont worry... i had a trap that took 3 weeks but finally opened. Just be patient... it will open!

schloaty

Staff member
I actually once had a trap that wouldn't open for a different reason. I fed it a spider (big, fat, juicy one). I guess the spider was so juicy that when the trap tried to open, it took to long and the left over juice dried like glue! Talk about morning-mouth.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I crack myself up.

I find that if a trap doesn't open after some time (around two weeks, maybe less), it will start to turn black. So I do get worried if the trap takes too long to digest.
confused.gif