What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trap wont reopen

I have a typical vft and about 8 weeks ago i fed it a small pillbug. It still has not opened, but has not started to rot either. I was just wondering if this is normal, or if someone else has had this happen to them. It has had some meals since then that it opened back up from in about a week.

Thanks
Ktulu

I know harder bodied bugs tend to take longer, but 8 weeks?

Mine catches flies in our home all the time; which makes me mad cause I don't get to witness it; I'll have a new trap open and a couple of days later, there will be a fly englulfed in it.

It takes mine about 10 to 14 days to reopen on a juicy housefly.

I know other people feed theirs pill bugs and haven't posted any problems. They are certainly easier to catch.

I also have a trap that won't open. It's been about a week now, but there's nothing in it.
confused.gif
But at the same time, it's not dying. Go figure...

I guess as long as it's still green, it's ok.
smile.gif

I had a trap that lasted a month... near a month I started to water the edge of it to losen the glue that holds it shut? (dont know if there is any) but I also took a knight and just barely kept slicinga tad of it open starting from the cornors... evuntally it opened up (half open and I just cut and opened it)

It was fine, but the trap was defective anyways so i cut it off. Nothing really wrong with it... just that it was a slow trap... took 4x as long to do everything

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ktulu @ Oct. 02 2002,11:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a typical vft and about 8 weeks ago i fed it a small pillbug.  It still has not opened, but has not started to rot either.  I was just wondering if this is normal, or if someone else has had this happen to them.  It has had some meals since then that it opened back up from in about a week.

Thanks
Ktulu[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
well, pillbugs have a toxin in them that may have messed with your plants growth hormons. If it isn't rotting don't worry about it, eventually the leaf will get old and die anyways, for now even if the traps bad it can still make food from light for your plant
smile.gif

-Darcie

List of no nos: None insect land invertibrates, ladybugs, ants, moths/butterflies, catipillars, beatles with big jaws.

The same thing happened to one of my VFT Leaves and it never fully reopens i had to cut it off in a couple weeks because it started turning brown.I think it means that the trap is exhausted.Mine did reopne but not fully whebn it reopened the leaves looked like this )( kinda adn they were stuck together by some nasty sticky stuff.My VFT still seams healthy after that so it should be fine.

Well, if there is this toxin should i try to open the trap and remove the bug, so the toxin would no longer be entering the plants system, it hasnt seemed to affect the plant at all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ktulu @ Oct. 04 2002,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, if there is this toxin should i try to open the trap and remove the bug, so the toxin would no longer be entering the plants system, it hasnt seemed to affect the plant at all.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
no, just leave if be, the bug has probubly been digested anyways. With VFT it's best not to mess with it rather then try to "fix" things.

Back