What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transporting reptiles

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
As many of you know, I'm moving Saturday to NC. I have a long list of animals that I have to take with me. I have been thinking the best way to transport them but I can see problems with every way. I really don't want to lose any of the animals in this move. Here are the animals I will be taking.
1 4ft kingsnake
1 3ft kingsnake
1 viper gecko
2 golden geckos
1 1ft hognose snake
1 16in blue tongue skink
2 hamster
1 100lb golden retriever

I will be driving a 16ft box truck, towing a car. I have to keep all the animals separated or something will get ate by something else. I'm afraid to put them in the back of the truck because temps in NC will be over 90 on Saturday. I don't know if I'll have enough room in the cab for all of them.
Should I put them in the car that I'm towing and have the widows down? Should I transport them in pillow cases? What about the hamsters what can I put them in that they won't chew out of?

If anybody has any suggestion I really need them.

Critter Keepers.. those plastic containers with handles and tops with ventilation slats. You can buy them in any pet shop and they come in all the sizes. Put as many as you can in the cab of the truck and the rest in the car you're towing with the windows open if it's gonna get really hot inside.

your snakes are big enough to haul in pillow cases(thats how i transport most any snake under 6 foot) anything else i have no experiance with. good luck with your move.

critter keepers all the way. shoe box rubbermaid containers also work well in a pinch. stackable bonus. seriously though, you should be fine. having an extra car will really make life easyier.

Shade the hamsters in the critter keeper with a blanket or something, making sure to allow for ventilation. Kennel the dog or keep him in the cab so he doesn't get curious. I don't know about herps, but if I were you I'd shade them too like the hamsters. Having the windows rolled down will only do so much; air circulation only cools critters that sweat (or pant, I guess.) Shading your herps and the containers that they're in will do a lot more to keep the temperatures down.
Good luck
~Joe

I also vote critter keepers its what my girls use to take hamsters to Grandma's

Well I made to NC and all the critters survived.
I put the two kings in pillow cases, The skink in a cardboard box, the hamsters in seperate critter carries, The golden geckos went into a tiny plastic tank for gold fish, the rest I put into tupperware containers. I put the kings behind the seats, the rest I put between the seats. It was a long drive but they all seem to have made it with no problems.
Thanks for the advice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The golden geckos went into a tiny plastic tank for gold fish, the rest I put into tupperware containers.
The dog too?

Well, I put the dog in with the golden geckos, but they started fighting so I had to seperate them so my dog didn't get beat up too bad.

That's better.

Back