What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting Seedlings

I just spotted my first seedling from Pyro's seed giveaway and I have zero experience with nep seedlings and I know they can be.. delicate so what I wanted to ask how I should go about transplanting it and what would be the best media to use? The mix that I use for neps is like a mixture of everything I have.. which is like.. peat, sand, orchid bark, and LFS. I'd say that there's more peat and sand in there than anything and I wasn't sure if that would be good for a seedling or not. I also think they shouldn't be covered in a baggy anymore either?

I'm really excited about this and I am really hoping that I can get this little seedling going strong!

Thanks.

Don't touch it until its 1 year old.

Also, its probably not a good idea to use sand with neps

I don't have any experience with Nep seedlings...I'm still trying to grow my batch from Pyro. But, from everything I have heard, you are supposed to wait a long time before you try to transplant them. I could be wrong though. ???

Congrats on your seedling. :clap:

*edit*

oops...phissionkorps beat me to it.

Okay so I shouldn't touch em. And no sand with neps? I'll have to check and see if I did use sand or not, it was either sand or perlite.. but it's been a while since I mixed any of it up. Well at least I don't have to worry about doing anything with them for now. Thanks. :D

Funny, I was going to ask the same question, too! :) So you recommend waiting a year, huh?
I sowed mine on dead LFS and now it’s coming to life… I hope it doesn’t take over the seedlings. LOL

I'd certainly wait a year so as not to damage them. They're barely going to grow in a year anyway. I have a plant I grew from seed that is probably 8 months old and only an inch or so across

if the sphag starts to get too close for comfort, trim it with some really small scissors or nail clippers. This is one of the reasons i don't sow seeds on lfs

My LFS isn't coming to life.. but it turned green for some reason. I thought maybe that it was algae but it doesn't come off on my fingers.. so i have no idea what it is.

Its still algae :D
If you really have to move them.
You can use a teaspoon and dig it up carefully with the spaghnum or LFS.
Then you just put everything in a new pot.
I did this with some of my nepenthes seedlings as they growed on each other so I had to move them. Just be careful not to drop them on the ground. :p

Back