What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toughest neps / Worst conditons they've thrived in

I've been growing for over a year now and have noticed that ventrata seems to tolerate more abuse -- of every kind -- than any other nep.  I'm not trying to abuse them.  In Florida the humidity has gotten low (for us), it's gotten cold (for us), and it's baked the heck out of the plants (for anyone).  In each situation the ventrata has survived, even continued to pitcher.

The major thing that separates the ventrata from the pack is that I haven't been able to provide as much protection from the elements to all the ventrata as everthing else.  Two of the hanging baskets (one big plant, one basket with cuttings) have become attached to the porch -- nep vines and other vines.  Still, with less protection, even the cuttings basket has grown.  One has a little pitcher.      

Other hybrids I bought last year seemed to survive our cold spells better also.  Also, one alata "large upper peristome" seems the healthiest of all, pitchering on every new leaf.  Is that it?  Are the alatas (there are more than a few) tough?

I know ventricosa are pretty tough also.  That was one of my starter plants.  

In a nutshell, I've cooked ventrata in the mid-90s right in the middle of the afternoon, had them dry out when it began getting cold and windy, and had them covered with only a plastic garbage bag when it actually dipped below freezing for a brief period.  

That's tough.

Wow, that's pretty darn good! I was considering getting one to put in my house, but was worried about humidity. I guess I'm an over-protective parent... All my other neps are in lowland or highland growchambers, respectfully. If you think that they could live and thrive in 40% humidity always with daily misting and otherwise perfect conditions, then I'm ready to get a big ventrata at near flowering size!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

I have the mother plant and a cutting of a ventrata that is growing great in the house. My humidity might be 10%. It has not pitchered for me yet. I think it will. I have an unidentified nep that has been used to the conditions of the house longer then the ventrata and has been putting pitchers out for me non stop.

Ventricosa is Bomb proof. I would imagin that is were your hybred got it's strengths from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lithopsman @ Jan. 22 2004,18:19)]Wow, that's pretty darn good! I was considering getting one to put in my house, but was worried about humidity. I guess I'm an over-protective parent... All my other neps are in lowland or highland growchambers, respectfully. If you think that they could live and thrive in 40% humidity always with daily misting and otherwise perfect conditions, then I'm ready to get a big ventrata at near flowering size!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

unclesam.gif

cool.gif
N. ventricosa will pitcher in those conditions... actually, I've had mine pitcher in really really REALLY dry conditions.

Yeah, I have a N. ventricosa that grows like a weed and pitchers in my bedroom window. It has one compact fluorescent 20watt bulb over it, and aside from that gets about 30 minutes of sunlight a day. Pretty much bomb-proof.

Max

I think N. ventricosa actually prefers lower light levels then most Neps. Does anyone know what sort of habbitat they live in naturally? Judgeing by the shade tolerance I would guess they have at least some trees around them as oppose to being on an open mountain ledge like some species.

Cool , maybe i should try grow my nepenthes hybrid outdoors for a test drive and see how things go .
smile.gif

Not sure what their natural habitat is like. I grow mine in my south window with most of my other CPs, and they are doing great. Humidity is 35% and the temp is 67ºf(night).

smile.gif

BCK

My ventricosa keeps pitchering into the winter, after the x Ventrata stops.

Back