What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough?

Hello, in everyone's opinion, what would be the hardiest, quickest and most easily grown of all Nepenthes. I should think it would be one of the hybrids, correct? I know these kind of terms don't normally relate to Nepenthes, but the thing is, I live in a Mediterranean climate and was looking for something that could be grown outside in a shade house (50%). I grow orchids and other exotics in there and they all seem to be doing well, so what do you guys suggest?

anything highland should do well around orchids except if it gets to hot above 90. ventricosa or rafflesiana is a great place to start

*nods* It gets to about... I don't know F... but about 40 degrees Celsius on really hot days.

Things like truncata, ventalta, or raff should be fine as long as they do not get extremely hot.

N. ventrata, N. raffelsiana are good. Also N.khasiana has proven to be very hardy for me.

Judith Finn as well.

i say sanguinea because i have not managed to get it to stop pitchering even after a long periods of neglect during the winter time. all my other neps have stopped except the sanguinea which is still popping pitchers left and right.

Miranda......

I definately recommend this plant too. I grow it on a windowsill upstairs and I move it around a lot. Mine just made a new pitcher!

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

Oooo....! What kinds of orchids do you grow? I just got some new masdevallias, restrepias, and pleothalis.

nice fish tank!

Sounds like it gets hot enough that you'll want something that handles intermediate conditions. A hybrid featuring one of the more durable species, such as maxima, truncata or vietchii, would probably be advisable. Preferably one that has both lowlanders and highlanders in its parentage. Have you seen http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/?
~Joe

Back