What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much light D. prolifera?

Hi all, first time posting so hopefully I'm doing this right. Anyways, I'm on my second try in growing D. prolifera and just wanted to get a second opinion on my setup for it. Bit paranoid since my last D. prolifera just crashed randomly and never recovered which I suspect might have been due to stress from giving it too much light. As such, I've trying to be more cautious about the lighting this time around.

That being said, I did change the lighting it was growing under around a month and half ago to something a little stronger. The plant was doing just fine under the previous lighting and was actually growing quite vigorously and producing a lot of pups from flower stalks, but the previous lights broke during moving. When moved under the new lights, the previous growth quickly turned a purplish red which was a bit alarming. The plant's growth also noticeably slowed, but it has been producing new leaves and flower stalks that look healthy. The new leaves are a little smaller than the leaves the plant had before the new lighting. You can see both the old purplish growth and the new greenish growth in the picture I included.

My first thoughts are that the plant is experiencing stress from too much light as it was growing vigorously before the lighting change. However, the new growth, while coming in slower and smaller, does look healthy which would seem to indicate the plant is doing just fine. Additionally, a D. schizandra in the same set up is doing very well, and everything I have read indicates that D. prolifera is much more tolerant of high light than D. schizandra.

Anyways, what are the opinions of the experts on this forum? Is my D. prolifera experiencing stress from too much light? Should I begin reducing the strength of the lights? Or is this normal D. prolifera behavior and the current lighting is just fine at the strength it is at?

Attachments

• 20230219_144810.jpg
    20230219_144810.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 7
The setup I had up until very recently had prolifera experiencing nearly all-day sunlight through the nearby window; they can take a lot of light, as long as other parameters are fine (fairly humid, moderate to cool temperatures, etc.). Old leaves grown in different conditions will nearly always react immediately, often poorly, to a sudden change, this doesn't mean the plant overall will have trouble.

The setup I had up until very recently had prolifera experiencing nearly all-day sunlight through the nearby window; they can take a lot of light, as long as other parameters are fine (fairly humid, moderate to cool temperatures, etc.). Old leaves grown in different conditions will nearly always react immediately, often poorly, to a sudden change, this doesn't mean the plant overall will have trouble.
Thanks for the response. I guess I should probably stop worrying so much and just leave the plant be. That always seems to be the solution 99% of the time :ROFLMAO:

Back