What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too cold?

Hi, last night the temperature dropped pretty low, maybe as low as 55 degrees F. Right now as I speak it is 57 degrees. Do you think I should move my cacti and succulents back inside under the grow light since it's getting so cold? I'm really worried about them. I'm hoping this cold weather passes soon because I doubt that fall is already setting in. I hope it isn't.

It's been pretty cool here too, but I'm not really worried about it yet... I'm a bit north of you, and I'm not too concerned...

Unless you have some really fussy cactii that can't STAND cool temps at any time, it should be okay, mould from the cool moisture would be the only really worrisome aspect of this stupid early winter business.....

Keep an eye on them, but really, there should be no cause for alarm just yet IMO, most cacti are pretty good for cold nights

Ok, it's starting to warm up again so I won't worry unless it gets near 40 degrees. Thanks.

Most cactus and succulents will go down to just above freezing easily and below for a good portion of them. Hardy will stay at freezing for extended lengths. Most others will take a frost for one night or so as long as it warms up in the day. The BIGGEST concern is whether they are wet when it gets cold, they will tolerate much more if they are dry when it happens.

Joe

Yeah, I didn't water them at all because the morning dew moistened the soil enough to keep them alive even thought they probably didn't need it. Anyway, it's back up to it's normal temperature. I have a feeling that the temps will drop again and stay that way for the rest of the week because it's pretty much supposed to be stormy all week and the clouds will block the nice hot sun. I'll have to put my cacti under my bench or something to keep them from getting waterlogged.

Back