What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Cold?

Hi all

I bought a Nepenthes 'Coccinea' at the Philadelphia Flower show, It was growing really good for about two to three weeks, Well here is what is happening now. On a warm day of about 60 I put it out and humidity about 70%, I left it out and went with the family to do family things. Well it got cold FAST By the time I rreturned home it was like 40 out and windy. The plant tiped over from it's pot and crashed about 1 ft from the table Since than it's leaves are starting to turn brown and the pitchers are getting a little brown. The new leaves that started don't seem to be growing. I mist the plant with rain water and keep it near indirect sun light. I mist like 6 times a day. Any Advice would be a help....

Thanks

Jim

When you put it out was it in direct sunlight? I am not familiar with 'cocinnea' (?) in particular but I don't think 70 was warm enough especially if it was in warmer more humid condition and then suddenly to new lower temp and humid. I think none of the Neps like a drop and ups should be gradual even in condition that is. As for falling who knows it may have damaged roots. I am not a pro though.

Joe

I'm sure there was a shock from the cold weather. I'd just put it in good conditions, water normally, and let it be. There's always a tendency in these situations to fuss over them, and keep disturbing them. Just put it in good conditions, and let it go. Don't worry about losing some older leaves and pitchers. That's going to happen no matter what.

Capslock

My coccineas did very poorly over the winter in cooler temperatures and low humidity. They survived though, and I'm hoping for some nice spring pitchers soon!

SF

cool, I was at the philly flower show
whered u buy it? at the fly trap farm stand?
i bought an N. Alata there
sry i have no advice for u
sad.gif

i hope it recovers soon

Hellz

I bought it from The Fly Trap Farm.. I was at this place called Otts GreenHouse outside of Philly and the had A Nepentes Alta , I think and it was HUGE. It was About 3 ft long hanging down and curling up. It was the same price as the ones at the Flower SHow

Jim

Back