What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toilet?

• Thread starter schejuka
  • Start date
Hey, awesome find! I love it when our plants make the news.

Jason

That is really funny. I wonder why they use it as a toilet?

That is great! Not only are they carnivorous but they are now branching into waste management!:-))

That is really funny. I wonder why they use it as a toilet?

torrent,
They don't go there to use the pitcher as a toilet. They go to lick the nectar off the lid. As stated in the article "form follows function" they intake and then output!

Nepenthes are eco-friendly!

Once again, leave the NY Times to remain on the cutting edge of science -- Peter D'Amato mentioned the so-called "novel nitrogen sequestration strategy" as far back as 1998 in The Savage Garden with the caption under a shot of Nepenthes lowii, "Tiolet Bowl for Birds?"

Further:

"Charles Clarke has observed birds and shrews feeding on the "eggs," [congealed "beads" of nectar on N. lowii] while their excrement falls in the pitcher!"

The Times isn't exactly a botany journal, Bella. But I also found it kind of odd that this was running as "news" - perhaps this is in response to some research confirming that shrew poo is a major part of N. lowii's diet? In the past, I've always heard it cited as more of a speculation; it was observed but not known to be an important part of lowii's life strategy. Or maybe they were just looking for some weird science to use in a public interest piece.
~Joe

ive heard both birds and shrews...scat (?) in N. lowii. Very cool to see the actual shrew and how it doesnt fall in and eveyrthing. KJinda crappy writing though.

Back