What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue culure workshop

droseraguy

Illinois
I just copied the notice I got. I am planning to go. Chris

Kankakee Community College and the Home Tissue Culture Group

Present a
Hands-On Workshop for Plant Propagation
Plant Tissue Culture for the Home and Classroom
A workshop for hobbyists, teachers, students, Master Gardeners,
Nurserymen and anyone else who loves or collects plants
Kankakee, Illinois
Date/Time September 18, 2010 – Saturday - 9am to 4pm
Place Kankakee Community College
Guests Dr. Scott Stewart and Frank Tromble
• Have a favorite plant that you would like to mass produce?
• Love to watch plants grow? Are you a collector? A plant scavenger?
• Need something interesting to do for science fair or a school project?
• Want to learn a "biotechnology" technique to teach your students in science class or at
home school that is inexpensive?
Plant tissue culture is a method of plant propagation that involves growing plant parts in a
sterile environment and controlling the production of roots or shoots with growth regulators.
Using this method, small plant parts can be induced to produce hundreds of small "plantlets"
which can be further developed and grown to maturity in greenhouses or as houseplants.
This kitchen culture approach has proven to be useful for science fair projects, teaching plant
growth concepts, and providing a laboratory experience for homeschoolers. Hobbyists can
mass produce their favorite plants as well as exotic plants.
In this workshop you will make your own media, disinfect and culture plant leaves, axillary buds and
orchid seeds, and discuss trouble shooting and internet resources. You will take home 6 - 10 cultures
that you create in class plus a handout with basic instructions and FREE samples of PPM, agar and MS
plant medium. All media and materials for the workshop will be provided. No prior knowledge
required – only an interest in plants!
Registration is $99. Student rates available. Registration can be paid via credit card or Pay Pal at the
Home Tissue Culture Group website: http://www.hometissueculture.org/htcgworkshops.htm Checks
can be sent to KCET/HTCG, 350 Northside Drive, Milton, WI 53563. or contact Dr. Carol Stiff at
608-302-2750 or carol@kitchencultureEducation.org Local information: sstewart@kcc.edu

thanks for that droseraguy. i was actually just at KCC two weeks ago for a baseball tournament. looks like illl be returning.

Just a reminder that the meeting will be this Saturday. I may or may not go, it's harvest time after all and that doesn't wait for anyone.

Back