What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue culture

fre8train

BANNED
Hello
I want to clone my green dragon but I don’t want the tissue to die Right now I am using a 50/50 peat and horticulture sand mix for my grow medium. I will water only through the side of the tray in order not to disturb the newly developing root system.
I have a few questions
1 how far in the medium can I plant the rhizome, or the white part of the tissue at the bottom of the leaf. In ratio to the length of the leaf I think you just plant the white and everything else sticks out. Please correct me if I am wrong.
2 Can I put a fresh clone under strong light or should it be worked into the light like a seedling.
3 Can I put a cp under full light 24/7 during any part of the plants life, for instance while it is young or during root production.
If anybody has a special trick local hint or any greenthumb secrets on tissue culture this is the place to share them. Thanks

Hi Fre8train...
Someone once posted a pretty comprehensive page detailing exactly how to do VFT cuttings, complete with a photographic journal of each step, but I cant seem to find the post right now.
sad.gif

In answer to your specific questions:

#1. Lay the cutting flat on its back and then a small pinch of soil to cover the white end is fine.

#2. Put your cuttings under your flourescent tubes just like any seedling or cutting.

#3. There is some difference of opinion on this, but I believe that plants need a "rest" or dark period. Unless you are trying to grow a plant native to northern Alaska, or the North Pole where there is 24 hour daylight (which VFT's are not). My opinion on this is to mimic what they would get in their natural habitat.

Good luck with your cuttings
Steve

One more question, will a cutting with a trap on it grow, or just leaf cuttings.

Yes, leaves with traps will grow. I have also read that trapless leaves will work too.

Steve

Should a trap be fed when it is a unrooted cutting, or should they just focusing energy on rooting?

Will root hormone (Rooteck) burn the fragile root system of a vft?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (fre8train @ Sep. 01 2003,3:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Should a trap be fed when it is a unrooted cutting, or should they just focusing energy on rooting?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No. I dont believe the trap will digest the insect after its cut. The dead carcass also accelerates decay.

I dunno about the rooting hormone. Cuttings should not need anything like that to sprout. If you have several cuttings to experiment with then I would say go ahead. But if this is your only one, its probably better to err on the side of caution.

Good luck
Steve

sence then all of my clones have died. Yhey all slowly shrivled up into black and now there are decaying. Next I think I will try a rockwell cube and see if that has better luck.

Back