What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue culture update

Tissue culture update

Some of you might remember I posted about 3 weeks back asking for tissue culture advise. Well in any case I just noticed today that I had successful invitro germination of N.alata. D.regia has also begun to sprout.

Andre

Great news Andre.

Care to share more information on what and how you achived this?

Got any photos?

Aaron.

I am by no means a TC expert, actually this is the first attempt so I still have allot to learn and plenty can still go wrong but here is what I tried:

Seed  bought from Triffid nurseries in the UK.
TC kit bought from http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Index.htm

For both seeds I tried sterilizing the seed in a 10% bleach solution  mixed with a couple drops of sunlight in it for ten minutes.
I followed this with a dunk into hydrogen peroxide and finally sterilized water to rinse it off.

For the nepenthes media I am trying MS solution diluted to half strength . I also added 1ml BAP and 1 ml PPM.
For the Drosera same mix minus the BAP.

I do not have any pictures yet but if all keeps going well I will take some in a few days and post.

Great for you! I hope all goes well with it and you get to be real good with t\c.

nice!!!
i was looking at that kit to, seeing as my past home made T/C experiment failed...
is it a good kit? im guessing it is hearing about your results with it, and im am planning on buying one as well
also, which kit did you buy?
thanks for your help in advanced,
Hellz

MS? BAP?
I know PPM though, it's "particules per million" and reprentsents the number of mollecules of said substance in a million mollecules that compose a mix.

HellzDungeon, I got the All-Purpose Kitchen Culture Kit ("Five Year Special"), because I have a long list of plants I wish to try TC. This kit comes with allot more product. Also you can tell Carol (the vendor) which mediums you want her to send you in it.

PPM = Plant Preservative Mixture
BAP = Benzylaminopurine
MS = Murashige and Skoog plant growth medium with vitamins and inositol

Very cool indeed! Can you show us a photo of your setup? Did you build a "clean box" of any kind or did you just do it on the kitcher counter?

Have you got the book "Plants from Test Tubes" from Timber Press? It's a very nice book with all kinds of info, diagrams, etc. Now available in paperback for way cheaper than I paid...

yes, i was curious aswell as how to construct a good clean box. i first tried using a fishtank turned on its side. i guess it didnt work... o well lol
Hellz

Back