What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue Culture Questions . . .

Hey,

Clutcher? Culture. Nucular? Nuclear . . .

I was wondering how many in this forum have had experience with any of the readily available home tissue culture setups? I recall doing a bit of TC in college (soybeans and a few other things I'd rather not disclose) but that was a serious environment with laminar flow hoods, autoclaves, and regretable squirt bottle fights with carbon tet. We were successful with all of the assigned experiments but it came as more of a surprise in that particular class for too many reasons . . .

If anyone could offer some advice with this, it would be greatly appreciated . . .

Carol Stiff's kitchen culture kit is the best start-up kit around.

It's what I started with and it's been a great tool for me.

Hope this helps,
Nate

Bella,
I have a freind in the fairfield who is an avid TCist. I'll check with him to see if it is okay that you contact him..
LMO

Bella,
I have a freind in the fairfield who is an avid TCist. I'll check with him to see if it is okay that you contact him..
LMO

Thanks. Would that be David Conner? I had a chance to briefly speak to him during the BACPS meeting at California Carnivores.

I would love to get into this too. Dec can't come soon enough so I have time to do some reading.

I would love to get into this too. Dec can't come soon enough so I have time to do some reading.

Yeah, it's been something that has always interested me -- ever since I obtained a flask of Cephalotus from the former World Insectivorous Plants as a kid in the early 1980s, that and the mad scientist phase(s) previously mentioned in college. Some of the chemicals used in TC -- colchicine, for example -- we've used in connection with oyster culture (just as in plants, to induce polyploidy); and we obtained a number of our supplies in years past, especially while overseas, from tissue culture labs and what they were working on was always really interesting. I recently had a chance to talk with someone a few weeks ago -- however briefly -- who was culturing Dionaea B52 and other cultivars quite successfully, but there were too many people and not enough time to ask any informed questions . . .

Back