What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue culture beginner

PitcherPlantJunkie

PitcherPlantDruggie
Hey guys, I'm thinking of starting tissue culture for some rare nepenthes seeds I just got. I was wondering if anyone could help me get a checklist of things I need and need to do. Or if someone could point me in the right direction would be awesome. Thank you

Hi!
First of all I'm just a beginner as well, started a while ago and finally have some tiny cultures going. There are a lot of experienced tissue culturers on the forum that would offer much more help and some are quite active.

For sterilization I'm experimenting with 500 ppm NaDCC for 8 hours and then 4% PPM for another 6-8 hours, however 4-6% PPM alone should do just fine. Bleach should work as well but be careful with the concentration and duration to prevent cooking the seeds. For media I use 1/4 MS + 25g sucrose + full strength MS vitamin mixture + 0.5ml/L PPM and 7g gelagar adjusted to 5.2-5.4 pH. A few N. fusca seeds sown a month ago are germinating, glad at least some survived the sterilization.

Hope this may help!

Hi!
First of all I'm just a beginner as well, started a while ago and finally have some tiny cultures going. There are a lot of experienced tissue culturers on the forum that would offer much more help and some are quite active.

For sterilization I'm experimenting with 500 ppm NaDCC for 8 hours and then 4% PPM for another 6-8 hours, however 4-6% PPM alone should do just fine. Bleach should work as well but be careful with the concentration and duration to prevent cooking the seeds. For media I use 1/4 MS + 25g sucrose + full strength MS vitamin mixture + 0.5ml/L PPM and 7g gelagar adjusted to 5.2-5.4 pH. A few N. fusca seeds sown a month ago are germinating, glad at least some survived the sterilization.

Hope this may help!
Can you tell me what did you use? Maybe a check list? Thanks, anything is helpful at this point.

help

Tissue culture experts, please help!!!!

Yes I think that tissue culture is awesome . It is a process that involves exposing plant tissue to a specific regimen of nutrients, hormones, and light under sterile, in vitro conditions to produce many new plants, each a clone of the original mother plant, over a very short period of time.

There is a guy named Anthony who goes by "abugsnightmare" on Instagram (See: https://www.instagram.com/abugsnightmare/), and he has a lot of experience with tissue culture and carnivorous plants. I suggest you contact him and ask advice. He's generally quite eager to share what he knows and is a very nice guy.

Back