What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips on repotting?

Do any of the long time growers have tips on how to make repotting faster? Over the past couple years I've pretty much mastered repotting but find that it takes HOURS just to repot a tray of 30 plants. And that is only around half the collection. So is there any shortcuts or special techniques?

Nope. Just be happy that you have all those plants. It is also an excellent time for the health inspection.

Yeah, that's what I thought but as the saying goes "there is no such thing as a stupid question"

How do nurserys pot so many plants?

But if there is any other advice, it would be greatly appreicated! I want to here some more advice from long term growers who own hundreds of plants. The worse are repotted crowded vft and sundew seedlings!

All i do (for sundews, vfts, ect) i squeeze the pot one way, then the other way perpendicular to it. And i turn it over holding my hand so it won't fall to the floor. I hold it in my hand and gently turn it over so it doesn't collapse, and i put it in the hole i dug in the media beforehand.
Note that if the media is too lose, then this may not work. It really works best with root bound plants, and LFS etc.

For the pitcher plants with liquid that i don't want to fall out, i take a small spade or something to that effect, and i loosen the dirt around it. Then i put my fingers in the media and pinch it, and lift it up. then i put it in the media. This works for everything, but i like the previous method when i'm pressed for time.

I find that these methods work very well, and they don't take too long. Hope i helped.
smile.gif

Repotting is a slow process. If you find doing all your plants tedious, then break it up over a few days. I usually repot only two or three plants a day when it comes time to do so, so that I can enjoy the chore. (I must admit, I don't have too many plants which require frequent repotting, and I have things staggered so that I only need to do a dozen or so each season.) Like Tre said, it's a good time for a checkup, so you want to be in the mood to pay attention and give your plants the best treatment possible.
~Joe

i take the old pot, put it in the new pot and fill with dirt. then i squeeze the pot oin the sides, the old plant pops out and fits perfectly into the new whole. then i just add a little extra dirt to cover the seam.

almost no stress and i dont break up the rootball. soak for 24 hours in superthrive (about 1 drop per cup)

I have learned a few time saving tips over the years that help speed up repotting. Very shortly I will have to repot, divide, and pot up to the next size 400+ sarracenia. The first tip is like a few others have said, only modified, is if all you are doing is potting up say 3" pots to 6" for example, fill the larger pot with medium of choice and fill around an empty pot of the same sized pot thereby leaving a void exactly the size you need. Then it's simply a matter of overturning and placing the potbound plant into its new home.

The second tip that may extend the length of time it takes before you need to repot Sarracenia deals with species that have strong central leading points, ie. alata, leuco, flava etc. is instead of centering the rhizome exactly in the middle of the pot, place the oldest part, that is the part not actively growing, against the wall of the pot. This will allow the plant to grow into the center of the pot and greatly reduce the frequency or necessity of repotting due to the growth point(s) reaching the pot walls. This won't speed up the repotting process per se, but like I said may reduce the frequency in which you need to repot.

Hope this helps!

I don't think there's any sure-fire way of saving too much time. I just spent the day yesterday dividing a bunch of Sarr's. My back was hurting so much I didn't even repot them. I saved some for trades, but they're all sitting in baggies right now. I'll pot up what I'm saving for myself tomorrow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Jan. 26 2005,1:04)]How do nurserys pot so many plants?
Lotsa employees
smile_m_32.gif

Has anyone tried using those peat pots that you can drop right into a bigger pot and the roots will grow through it? I just picked up a few that were practically free... wondering if they have any downsides (would be using them for nepenthes cuttings, so they might be relatively tolerant to whatever's in there). Also curious if they tend to dissolve before your plant gets a chance to grow.
smile.gif

I have used them and the only problem I have had is they tend to get moldy on the outside. I also punchs holes in them before planting them in to a larger pot to aid in letting roots through the sides and bottom.

Grin and bear it. I am potting up Sarras since Jan 1st and don't expect to be finished til March..800 down, 1,400 to go.. Any offers on help?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mike King @ Jan. 28 2005,5:09)]Grin and bear it. I am potting up Sarras since Jan 1st and don't expect to be finished til March..800 down, 1,400 to go.. Any offers on help?
biggrin.gif
Sure...........buy me a plane ticket, a place to stay, some food, and I get a few plants, I'd be glad to help.
smile_n_32.gif

Me too! Top Ramen all the way!!

Moi aussi! Just don't make them all beef or all chicken or all...

Oriental Top Ramen forever!!!

Back