What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny succulents under lights?

I'm wondering if any of you are growing small succulents under lights? If you grow them indoors, what kind of lamps do you use, do you set it for 12/12 or other? Some plants I've got are colored obviously from intense light and not genetics (some are obviously genetics) but I wanted to know if I'll be able to keep their colors up with a 96W / 8000 Lumen 6500K power compact SW reef lamp in a reflector with the utility self surrounded by reflective duct insulation. I have two lamps and would like to use one 96W lamp over each 36" x 18" shelf. The lamp will be 12" or less from the plants (my reflector will have chains).

I know this ideally should be posted in Cacti and Succulents but I think only Seedjar and I ever travel down there! ;)

Sometimes cactusbum is around to throw in his lot. :D
About the lights, though, yours sound brighter than anything I use. My cacti don't necessarily color up much, but they grow pretty well with the same T12s that I use for my tropical sundews and other indoor plants. Even cheap bulbs can do a good job so long as they're kept close.
~Joe

I still have mucho piles of twin tube 40W T-12 fixtures in my pantry from the Nep days, I just used these PCs cos the shelf I have is only 36" w and the bulbs are 32". I saw a 48" x 24" shelf when I was out today. That could go into a closet with 4x T-12 over each shelf...

It was so fun setting up the cacti-shelf today, I've got the plant "junk" back in the blood.... :D

Here's the reflectors I built from 1/2 ventilation tubing. I don't know what they sell half a duct tube for at the hardware store but this is what I do with it:
diyreflector.jpg

Here's the shelf with the front cover off:
cacti1.jpg

The PC lamp duct reflectors hang on S-hooks and chains so they can be lowered or raised. Each shelf is about 16" high . I may install a 4" PC / lamp fan in there to pull hot air up from the bottom and out the top as the left side is not covered with reflective insulation.

I will be able to fit 60 2 1/2" pots on each shelf edge to edge(!). When the weather gets better for ordering tropicals I will lay two 10 gallon tanks on their fronts on the bottom shelf for miniature CPs and orchids since that's the cooler shelf.

Back