What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tiny little bugs

• Thread starter busr25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bugs tiny
B

busr25

I'm fairly new to vft's. I have 2 red dragons and 2 green dragons since November. I now have some tiny little bugs crawling around. I don't know if they're doing anything to the plants. Does anybody have any suggestions???

Can you give a better description of the tiny little bugs?  Aphids, thrips, spider mites, and several others all fit the tiny little bugs category.

edited by BCK 6-29-02 11:29
Many bug infestations can be cured by submerging the whole plant in water for a day.

Im guessing that they are fungus gnats and the larve. Thats just a guess of course since I havent seen it but they are very common they dont realy hurt your plants unless there are tons. Do you by any chance see teeny tiny black little gnats flying around the plant they are sometimes hard to spot.

I think you would have noticed some damage if they were aphids or spider mites.

You can always dunk your plant overnight in distilled water or if you feel like taking a risk use a gentle insecticide.

You can always take your plant to the nearest knowlegeable nursery and let them have a look they may know what the bugs are.

Thanks for the suggestions! These bugs also seem to be in the soil of my mini citrus trees. I don't think they're fruit flies. This soil is also pretty moist. I just might try submerging the vft's and checking at the local nursery for the others.

I would say that they are fungus gnats and the larvae...or springtails.

They live in soils that are wet....they aren't too hard to get rid of.

All are not harmful and the best way to rid them from the soil is buy a sundew or butterwort!

Maybe they're springtails. If I try to put my finger on one that's on the table, it moves really fast. Do the other plants like full sun? My vft's are in my sunroom.

Thanks for the info!

They LOVE the sun!

Back