What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tin foil in terrariums

I currently have tin foil lining the inside of my terrarium. Should it be outside or inside? Or does it even matter?

It doesn't necessarily matter, IMO.

If you line the inside, you'll get more reflection than on the outside. Unfortunately, between the glass and the foil is a goo dplace for molds, fungi, and critters to hide while they become a problem.

I've used mylar on the outside of my tank and I can't say it did much.

Sam

I think I might just take it all out of the inside and put it on the outside.

Now you made the comment that your Mylar didn't do anything. What did you mean by that?

Exactly what I said. It didn't increase internal tank light levels much that I could see. I suppose to each his own, I know many people swear by a reflective coating on the outside of their tanks. I personally didn't see any benefit from it, but my eyes may deceive me.

Sam

I keep aluminum foil on the outside for the same reasons GaWd mentioned. I have not experimented to see what effect having no reflective material would have on the plants.

By the way, how are the bulbs/temperature/humidity going?

-Ben

My bulbs seem to working well for my plants so far. I got a small clip-on house fan that I keep blowing over my tank, and it seems to create a nice breeze inside there and keeps the temps during the day between 80 and 85 degrees. Humidity wanders around between 45% and 60% during the day, and at night it usually goes into 70ish%. Seems like everything is working for the better, now I'll just wait and let my plants adjust to the newer, better conditions. The good thing is that my plants don't seem to be producing black/dying traps anymore. They're still a bit weak looking, but the red in the leaves/hairs is gradually coming back. We'll see...

My foil's on the outside.

Foil is placed on the outside of my four terraria (shiny side facing inward). This makes it easier to install and remove (if necessary), keeps it cleaner, and lessens the liklihood of ripping if I move my plants around/take them out of the tank.

There is a noticeable difference in light level between foil and no-foil terrarium setups. However, light level within the terrarium does not differ greatly between inside and outside foil setups.

I've never used mylar so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

I think you need to be careful with foil on the inside for the same reasons you don't put your plants in metal containers. Not sure what those reasons are but maybe something to do with oxidation.

Acidic nature of the peat carrodes the metal.

Who said there was peat at the bottom? I don't know about LG's, but in mine, the plants are in pots.

Back