What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three red sawtooth plants

I thought I'd try to take some good photos of the three red sawtooth flytraps I have growing in my collection. I have to admit that the differences between the three are quite minute. If you were to put all three of them next to each other without labels and ask me to tell you which one I thought was which, I'm not sure that I'd get them right. The 'Bohemian Garnet' and the "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" look especially similar right now. The cilia on the 'Scarlet Bristle' is a bit distinct from the other two, but it too is very similar in growth characteristics.

Anyway, onto the photos!

All three plants - "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" in lower left, 'Bohemian Garnet' at top (potted with "Fuzzy Tooth"), and 'Scarlet Bristle' in the lower right:
39de6572f0181fbc531c13b2.jpg

The "FTS Crimson Sawtooth" and 'Scarlet Bristle' were repotted fairly recently, so they're just now fully recovering from that.
Crimson Sawtooth closeups:
f05c6a5e35fec15970d62962.jpg

c18af6c5aa5a0810b33f628b.jpg

e82f8f3950990811fdba4c2e.jpg

Bohemian Garnet closeups:
e0b3212159f54f151b436008.jpg

944ee5a289c62e70178ac770.jpg

44d20636f9f5741df4bf19d0.jpg

Scarlet Bristle closeups:
fb320e8e07380fc55f42eb4c.jpg

b3c2608a332060c1f9662e18.jpg

74d7bd26e6f9a93b010cf95a.jpg

More photos can be found here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous-plant-community/photos/album.html?userid=62&albumid=409

I'd love to hear people's comments about any differences between the clones that they're able to pick out from the photos.

After studying them I can see a subtle difference. Almost too subtle to explain. My inner id is telling me they are slightly different, but yet how? :)

Nice regardless. I have no sawtooth's in my collection. I will have to work on that.

My saw crimson saw tooth is doing well , though, VTF's are hard for me don't quite get them, but will post a pic of my crimson this evening.
mmlr38, hoping youll give your secret mix quantities , id like to try something different than peat and perilite next spring, or do you think i could repot now?

Beautiful plants! Crimson is doing pretty well for me as well. It's still a small plant. Biggest traps are 3/8" long.

After studying them I can see a subtle difference. Almost too subtle to explain. My inner id is telling me they are slightly different, but yet how? :)

Nice regardless. I have no sawtooth's in my collection. I will have to work on that.
You'll definitely need to work on getting some sawtooth VFTs. They're one of my favorites. Particularly the red sawtooths.

My saw crimson saw tooth is doing well , though, VTF's are hard for me don't quite get them, but will post a pic of my crimson this evening.
mmlr38, hoping youll give your secret mix quantities , id like to try something different than peat and perilite next spring, or do you think i could repot now?
I'm glad to hear that your Crimson Sawtooth is doing well uphwiz. My "secret" mix quantities aren't really a secret. I have them written in an article on the main part of FlytrapCare.com. I use 5 parts peat, 3 parts silica sand and 2 parts perlite. I used to use 50:50 peat and perlite and the sand really makes a huge difference in soil aeration, which leads to a healthier root system, which leads to faster-growing, healthier plants.

I'd certainly repot right now if any of my plants weren't in that mix. I never wait to repot Dionaea unless they're flowering.
Beautiful plants! Crimson is doing pretty well for me as well. It's still a small plant. Biggest traps are 3/8" long.
That's great that it's growing well for you jimscott. Most of the FTS Crimson Sawtooth VFTs are still small plants. It's somewhat crazy to think that in March 2009, FTS Crimson Sawtooth didn't even really exist as it was still a seed. That's when I put the seed in vitro and grew it into hundreds of beautiful little VFTs by the spring of 2010. I kept one of the largest ones for myself (in the photo above), but there are several others out there that are larger or just as large. Or they were, at least, when I sent them out. Hopefully they're all still doing well.

thanks so much i get right at it, my batteries are charging so ill come back to this post and do a pic or two tomorrow evening,

From June:

Picture019-1.jpg
piranha

Picture006-11.jpg
Crimson Sawtooth

here is mine :-D I'm loving the coloring and veining in the leaves too. nice VFT,mmlr38:0o:
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2524-1.jpg

Jimmy: Why do yours look so different from mine?

not sure maybe i got one of the others , looks a little like the bohemian garnet??

...or Bohemian Rhapsody....

nope outside just brought them to photograph, it was raining, :blush:
this is outside where they grow with the rest of the sarrs and VFT's,
just moved them up on the rail to take the picture.
click on pic for closer view

Jimmy and Jimscott: I can say without a doubt that both of the plants I sent you guys are genetically identical. Jimscott, yours is still quite small, so maybe it will look similar as it gets older? I can say that I've not seen my FTS Crimson Sawtooths looking as green as Jimmy's before (they usually are very deep maroon colored), but I've not grown then in full sunlight yet. I've only grown them under fluorescent lights and in the greenhouse. Though, I can say that I really like the color and veining in yours, which is grown in full sun, Jimmy.

Back