What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This nep flowered today -but what is it?

Not a contest, I just don't know what it is...
maximahyb2.jpg

I've had the plant for a couple years. I bought it from Orchids Limited as N. maxima x bongso but it doesn't look like the reference pic that I bought the plant based on (it was a pitcherless cutting back then).

The plant has leaves about 30 cm long and pitchers up to 20 cm x 5-6 cm wide at the hip, lance shaped leaves, no hairs anywhere.

It's not doing well in the pot I have it in (soil has become sour and I'm going to repot) but it's starting to send up a flower stalk! So I'm gonna wait til it flowers and see what sex it is first.

Anyone have any idea what it is?

Hi Josh,
I can't say for sure, but it strongly resembles a cultivar called N. 'Ted Payne'. Originally, it came from Lecoufle in France. Bruce Bednar obtained a number of cultivars from him, and this was among them. Lecoufle claims he found it in a private collection in Great Britain-Mr. Ted Payne- and that it deserved cultivar status for it's large colorful pitchers. I don't think it was ever officially described, but it has been in circulation in collections here in Florida. I have seen fourteen inch pitchers on an established, mature plant. Nobody really knows what the hybrid may be. The peristome tends towards yellow with red stripes, often flushed with a reddish cast. Many of the large Neps coming out of Brit collections with these colors have Dyeriana or Dicksoniana (raff x veitchii) in the mix, and it could very well be maxima crossed back onto one of these, but, who knows? IF it is 'Ted Payne', then it grows well under lowland and intermediate conditions-not exactly N. bongso cultivation!
As your plant matures, it will show it's true colors and reveal if its really 'Ted Payne'. Did Orchids Limited ever trade or buy plants from Florida growers?
Also, Ted Payne has flowered-it is male.
Hope this is helpful.
Trent

Yep they do. I forget the name for that, but there are distinct male plants and female plants.

Josh, I'll guess something with truncata.

Joe

I think the leaf shape is too narrow for a truncata hybrid.

The lid attachement is looks a little like there's some fusca in there...but maybe it's not a good angle?

Pitcher and peristome shape along with the very solid wings lookie like N. mirabilis is in there to me.

T

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 01 2004,1:24)]Yep they do. I forget the name for that, but there are distinct male plants and female plants.
The name for plants having  male (staminate) and female (pistillate) flowers on different plants is dioecious. Dioecious literally means "two houses". Plants with perfect flowers (flowers with both male and female parts) or plants with male and female flowers on the same plant, are called monoecious, meaning "one house".

Steve

looks like x wrigleyana to me...

'wrigleyana' = mirabilis x (rafflesiana x ampullaria)

Steve

Thanks for all the input!

Here's another pic as a side view:
maximahyb22.jpg

It grows in lowland conditions but pretty slowly (I haven't tried intermediate yet). For almost a year I had it in highland conditions (due to it supposedly being a "bongso hybrid") but it does almost nothing in highland conditions. The leaves are sturdy and pitchers last a very long time.

Hey Steve, that was my initial thought, too, but I have x 'Wrigleyana', and the pitcher Swords has is much more elongated that the ones my Wrigly produces. Also, it has a more pronounced petrisome.
Hmmmm...This is a pickle...

Back