What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This might seem odd but

• Thread starter ALLOSAURZ
  • Start date
How exactly do you perform a handstand? How do you practice. It has been my goal for the past couple weeks to learn how to do a handstand so I can start doing handstand pushups to work out my shoulders. I can kinda do one against a wall in a hallway but I can only hold it for a few seconds before my wrists start to hurt.

In school our gym teacher showed us the wall thing too but I couldn't do it either.
Now some 25 years later I sprained my leg while sleeping last week when it cramped up!
smile_n_32.gif

A handstand pushup is no joke. Them things will work out your shoulder or hurt it. Most people do them against a wall since the movement will usually cause imbalance. I used to be able to do them when i played football but i sadly am no longer able. Massive upper body percentage to do.

Joe

you're basically lifting your own body weight with your shoulders you should workout with something lighter first, like a hundred pound weight maybe
smile_n_32.gif

Well I have been working out for the past month and a half. I'm not worried about doing the pushup as I have a very light frame. Right now though my immediate goal isn't a pushup it's just standing on my hands for longer then 3 seconds while leaning against a wall. In the end I want massive manly shoulders. For a 19 year old I have almost no shoulders.

So wrist hurting is your problem? Or is it balance?

If it's the wrists, they most likely aren't strong enough for it yet. You have to build up all the little muscles and tendon connections in order use the smaller body parts to work the big ones.

The wrist hurting is because I am not use to the angle or the weight being applied to them as you have said. This along with a general lack of balance has been making me unstable. My muscles haven't been trained enough yet however I can balance myself against a wall for a few seconds. However that's only in the hallway because I can use the other wall to crawl my legs up to get into position. I can't quite do the kick on to the wall.

The best training for shoulder push ups is to do wheel barrels. If you can get some one to help it is alot better. Just have them hold your feet and prac6tice walking and then running on your hands. When you can run easily on your hands then start thinkin about shoulder pushups.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 20 2005,11:51)]The best training for shoulder push ups is to do wheel barrels. If you can get some one to help it is alot better. Just have them hold your feet and prac6tice walking and then running on your hands. When you can run easily on your hands then start thinkin about shoulder pushups.

Joe
Hmm that sounds like a smart idea. I'm gonna have to see if my roommate is up for it. That would be a bit odd though.

skate boards work, or if ya have one of those big Tonka trucks around (my 2yr old has one) or anything that'll roll right behind you.

Joe

I would think pushups with your feet up on a bed and your hands on the floor would be a good transitional point.

Yeah, deffinately, variation in work out is good working all the nuscles. I was just giving one of them.

Joe

Back