What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This just in: Religious Debates - Moot Point

That is a very intimidating beast! Impressive that it could fly with holes in the wings--

It can fly with over half of it's wing blown completly off.

When they figure out how to mount that to a Jet we are all in trouble. The germans were full of ideas that just didn't work. That gun was one of them. It was mounted on a train track so you couldn't aim it left or right. You could only hit targets in line with the track.

The most fire power on a current plant now is the AC- 130 gunship. It's a C-130 Hercules with Gatling guns, 40mm and 105mm cannons mounted on it. They are all computer aimed. They have similuar software that the Apache helicopters have. If I remember right, they can put a round in almost every inch of a football feild with in a few seconds.

AC130flare2.jpg

Now Let's talk about ground based single weapon firepower.

Here is my .50 cal Barrett rifle.

m107-usarmy-image05.jpg

It shoots rounds the size of my hand.

compare.jpg

I'm in the process of mounting this on the bow of my new Kayak. Imagine fishing on the side of a river and seeing that mounted to a kayak float by.

Wow, that photo is incredible, are they just making a display with some kind of smoke trace dummy rounds? Is that a wartime shot? Your weapon is beautiful--

They are shooting flares that defends the aircraft from heat seeking missles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Dec. 09 2006,12:28)]It was mounted on a train track so you couldn't aim it left or right. You could only hit targets in line with the track.
The track was circular. You rotated it by moving it forward or backward on the track.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Dec. 09 2006,10:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Dec. 09 2006,12:28)]It was mounted on a train track so you couldn't aim it left or right. You could only hit targets in line with the track.
The track was circular. You rotated it by moving it forward or backward on the track.
I read the stuff on the page with the gun too. Too bad ozzy didn't
bigsmile.gif

True, I didn't read the page. I said what I said based on the gun that the Germans built called Big Bertha that they used to bomb France with. I assumed that the gun on the page was similar.

Big bertha was pretty effective considering... the french had no idea what was hitting them for the longest time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Big bertha was pretty effective considering... the french had no idea what was hitting them for the longest time.

Even though the Germans had used it on Belgium just to get through to France.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]M y father recently designed a thorium reactor core that (on paper anyway) effectively consumes its fuel rods in the chain reaction of starting the new ones going.

I'd be interested in hearing more about that! They've got some pretty cool designs going on. Some are planned future reactors, and some of them are additions/modifications that can currently make to the Gen III reactors.
Have you read up on Pebble Bed reactors at all? And interesting implementation of failsafe: they were able to figure it out to a point where the heat that the reactions create determines the speed of the reactions. So if things start running hot, then it forces less successfull fission reactions from ocurring all without mechanical or human intervention.

I take it that you've heard about the prototype Fusion reactor that they've been working on in France for the past year or two? A while back they were deciding whether to build it in France or Japan. For some strange reason, they decided on France despite the fact that a) they are making some plans to phase out nuclear power (the last I heard and despite the fact that it gives them the majority of their energy,) most of the PARTS will be coming from Japan, and I think that even the project manager is Japanese. lol Consrtuction wont be done for a while, but it's an interesting thing to follow!

But back to the topic of the weaponry, I've heard that the shells they use don't emmitt a lot of radiation. I've got access to some good sources that I'll be looking through, and I'll figure out a way for me to reproduce them for you guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Dec. 09 2006,3:02)]For some strange reason, they decided on France despite the fact that a) they are making some plans to phase out nuclear power (the last I heard and despite the fact that it gives them the majority of their energy,) most of the PARTS will be coming from Japan, and I think that even the project manager is Japanese.
If it goes horribly wrong and blows up in Japan, Gojira gets awakened again and we all have a problem.

If it goes horribly wrong and blows up in France... ehn, it's France.

Sounds like a no-brainer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If it goes horribly wrong and blows up in Japan, Gojira gets awakened again and we all have a problem.

If it goes horribly wrong and blows up in France... ehn, it's France.

Sounds like a no-brainer.

Well, if we're playing stereotypes, then I'm a little worried that is a problem arises, that the French will just surrender.

The Japanese would be efficient in fighting any threat.
tounge.gif

Reminds me of one of my FAVORITE fake commercials (from a movie called Crazy People.) Lemme see if I can find it. If I can, I'll edit it in to this post.

GOT IT! Phony Sony Advert

That commercial is great-- My dad's reactor core design sounds kind of freaky if you don't understand the thermodynamics of the components adequately (what I mean is that if someone told me about it without fully explaining it I would raise my eyebrows and quietly walk away, hoping they never got a grant to do it). The fundamental concept is a giant reservoir of pure lead with the reactor core in the middle of it, towards the bottom I think. The thorium's reaction specifics work very harmiously with the melting point of the lead to create a constant convectional flow of molten lead towards the top of the reservoir which cools and nears solid state. The overall effect of this is a self regulating system where the mass of lead is sized to take many times the heat of the hottest conceivable reaction, using the heat to melt more of the solid lead mass. Then if there is a meltdown, all you have to worry about is a nuclear tidal wave of molten lead pouring through town (joke). There is a lot more going on in there also but it gets complicated and I'm not the best person to explain it, as I am merely his half wit son. The patent is pending so if you are interested in more specific data than that, you may be able to pull it up on the patent office website. Do they have pending app.'s on there? I've never checked.

Back