What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This isn't Sphagnum Growing, Right?

I thought I had some sphagnum growing, because I used it in the potting mix, but I'm fairly certain I have red sphagnum growing with it, and they look nothing alike.

IMG_2556.JPG

WWSgPl.png

Any guess as to what the little green moss is then?

Some sort of carpet moss, I guess. Almost certainly not Sphagnum. Identifying mosses with dichotomous keys has to be one of the most boring skills I've ever learned, so I'll leave it to you to get more specific. Have fun! ;)
~Joe

that's not sphagnum, it is carpet moss, it will form a dense mat over time, not much you can do about it... What IS good, is that it will suck all the nutrients out of the soil...

Thanks, seedjar and blokeman. I guess I'm lucky for a few reasons. If I'm going to have sphagnum, I'd rather have red (I hope mine survives; I recently took the saran wrap off) than green, and I like mosses, so now I have another type.

Assuming what I think is red sphagnum really is red sphagnum...

Back