What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is S. purpurea and S. flava\'s 2nd year in my bog

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
Hi,

I'm wondering how fast they may spread this year and if they are established yet, or will that not be untill next year. I planted a few plants of each species about a foot apart leaving more room between species. How long do you think until each species forms a nice little colony? Thanks.
Bye for now.
sarracenia.gif

Hi Indy,
Depending on the climate, the purpurea should gradually form a clump over the next few years and the flava will branch out. flava nomally forms 2 to 3 pitchers per crown then divides the following year after flowering and usually puts on 1 to 1 1/2" of rhizome. With the purpurea, if it is ssp. purpurea, you may find that divides upto 4 times simultaneously as Spring growth commences. With ssp venosa, I find that much slower.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great info. I look forward to them growing and continuing to multiply. My S. purpurea is just the plain regular species. When they get some new pitchers that aren't winter damaged I'll have to post a pic. I suppose by then they will be done flowering though. Oh well, can't have it all. Thanks again.
Bye for now.

Yet another awsome animated gif, Indy.
smile.gif
You are quite handy with that.

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Indiana Gardener on 10:31 pm on May 25, 2002
Hi Mike,

My S. purpurea is just the plain regular species.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

They are either ssp venosa or ssp purpurea... There is no flat out "S. Purpurea" (unless the species was re-organized and nobody told me). ssp venosa is the most commonly sold. ssp purpurea require a longer dormancy and the pitchers are usually narrower.

Hi,

Thanks for the complements on the animation. It's fun to do when the weather isn't nice.
   Mike, thanks for the info. I didn't know it. That's a cool fact. I don't know what mine is then I guess. Some of the pitchers are squaty and some are longer...maybe I have both. Hard for me to tell apart though. Often the same plant will have both, but then I'm only comparing it to others I have. So maybe I don't know what differences to really look for. Here's a pic I took last year of one I kept in a pot. It spent the winter in the fridge unlike it's friends who spent it outdoors. All done well in both situations.
s_purpurea.jpg

I hope it's a good pic so you can tell which it is. Thanks.
Bye for now.

hmm, i think its ssp. venosa, usualy ssp. purpurea makes more blood red types of pitchers, i got confused us it was all red sorta but i can see it gets lots of sun, and that ssp. purpurea pitchers are narrower, my venosa looks the same as yours but just 1 difference, its a bit greener
tounge.gif
, it is starting to produce red veins and looks really cool
smile.gif

Hi Indy,
Stefano is right, your plant looks like subsp. venosa, but there is a sure way to tell the difference if you are not sure about the more 'narrowness' of the pitchers. With venosa, there is a slight fuzziness or roughness to the external surface of the pitchers by tiny hairs all over its surface whereas subsp. purpurea is totally smooth.

I hope that helps!

Back