What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is going to be a hard one

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
This is my Grandmas plant and she has no idea what it is.
She says in the summer it has long pink flowers.
Paulinesplant2.jpg

paulinesplant.jpg

Any ideas what it is?

OrcHid cactus! They are quite beutiful!
smile.gif

It is also commonly known as Nightblooming Cereus although that is not technically correct...but the name persists.  It has beautiful flowers which open at about 10 p.m. at night and only last a couple of hours.  They are fragrant.

Here is a pictorial record of the opening of one of my flowers.

cereuseventRS.jpg

The plant is kind of ugly and gangly but the flowers make up for it.  
smile.gif

Beautiful photos Plantakiss. How did you do it?
Happy growing, Neil
rock.gif

Thanks Neil.  
smile.gif

I did it by making an idiot of myself crawling around on my deck at 11 oclock at night with my camera, lights and a background.  lol  I know my neighbors thought I was nuts.

All the pics were shot (on a black background with lighting) every so many minutes as the flower opened.  It opens relatively fast...fast enough you can see it change every 5-10 minutes.  Then, yes Gugin...
smile.gif
 I composited the best shots in PhotoShop.  The flower is quite pretty in all its stages of opening...its so unusual.  So now anyone who hasn't seen an NBC (Epiphyllum) open, can sort of see what it looks like.  You just can't smell it.  
biggrin.gif

Ozzy, that was an easy one. How bout something harder?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ Jan. 07 2004,01:59)]Ozzy, that was an easy one.  How bout something harder?
biggrin.gif
Yeah , I guess I underestimated you guys. I thought with just a pic of the leaf, no flower it would be harder. I'll try harder next time.

Thanks for the id. I and my grandma was very surprised to find out it was a cactus.
Thanks guys.

NO.problamo they are a jungle cactus. I believe might blooming cearus is a different plant though?
smile.gif

HA! That look very similar to a plant My mother-in-law has...she only knows the Italian name for it, which translates to (ironically) mother-in-law's tounge.
smile.gif

I have these....common name is "Queen Of The Night" :p

the (real) night blooming cerius is actually a cactus, but alot of other plants have the same nme for some reason
smile.gif

Back